SPierce
Greener Thumb

Getting down & dirty (mini rant)

Augh! I just spent two hours tonight pulling all sorts of weeds from a lawn that isn't even mine! :shock:

My not-so-outdoors savvy roommate decided that he's not in good enough shape (astmha and other related issues) to help me weed, and since i have bad hips (that like to dislocate themselves) i've been waiting for him to actually come out and help- nada! :evil: :x grrrrr. I came home tonight, and everything looked so horrid I simply had to do something.

My hand is swollen, and now my hips are freaking out of place from being bent over and leaning forward- another $75 wasted even though I just went to the office this morning for an adjustment! :cry: :cry:

I've got a big barrell of rotting weeds; anything I can do with them??

/end rant

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Couple of things for you:

1) My hips are long-term unhappy due to a bicycle accident a while back. I cannot kneel, due to a car accident in 1995. This combination means that weeding is..."interesting." Esp. since DH cannot tell a weed from a wisteria, for all that he does do yard work, albeit very circumscribed (by me) tasks. What all this means is that I've developed work-arounds.

My first suggestion for your aching hips and hands: Buy a "bucket seat." This kind of bucket seat screws into the top of a 5-gallon bucket and makes a surprisingly comfortable place to sit. You lean over and pull out weeds from a sitting position.

My second suggestion is that you invest in a hori-hori, asparagus knife/weed stick/dandelion knife, or other weed-attacking tool to, in essence, extend the length of your hand while at the same time digging out *all* of the taproot of the weeds so that at least these very same ones cannot return. :twisted:

2) Applestar has a method she calls "drowned weeds." A Search on the phrase "drowned weeds" or "drowned weed bucket" will yield information on this method. After weeds are "drowned," I believe she considers them OK to add to her compost.

3) What does your roommate do that takes the same length of time as you spent weeding to help the household stay liveable? Vacuum/mop the floors? Clean bathrooms? It needs to be something generally unpleasant and causing a sweat. Asthma isn't a complete "get out of housework free" card; my girlfriend has asthma *and* an active life, likewise one of my sisters.

I hope you feel better soon, although from my own experience I suspect it won't be tomorrow. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

SPierce
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Couple of things for you:

1) My hips are long-term unhappy due to a bicycle accident a while back. I cannot kneel, due to a car accident in 1995. This combination means that weeding is..."interesting." Esp. since DH cannot tell a weed from a wisteria, for all that he does do yard work, albeit very circumscribed (by me) tasks. What all this means is that I've developed work-arounds.

My first suggestion for your aching hips and hands: Buy a "bucket seat." This kind of bucket seat screws into the top of a 5-gallon bucket and makes a surprisingly comfortable place to sit. You lean over and pull out weeds from a sitting position.

My second suggestion is that you invest in a hori-hori, asparagus knife/weed stick/dandelion knife, or other weed-attacking tool to, in essence, extend the length of your hand while at the same time digging out *all* of the taproot of the weeds so that at least these very same ones cannot return. :twisted:

2) Applestar has a method she calls "drowned weeds." A Search on the phrase "drowned weeds" or "drowned weed bucket" will yield information on this method. After weeds are "drowned," I believe she considers them OK to add to her compost.

3) What does your roommate do that takes the same length of time as you spent weeding to help the household stay liveable? Vacuum/mop the floors? Clean bathrooms? It needs to be something generally unpleasant and causing a sweat. Asthma isn't a complete "get out of housework free" card; my girlfriend has asthma *and* an active life, likewise one of my sisters.

I hope you feel better soon, although from my own experience I suspect it won't be tomorrow. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I'm SO happy to hear I'm not alone! Sorry to hear about your bicycle accident, for me a heating pad has worked wonders, and stretches too. Do you have any you regularly do?

The bucket seat is a wonderful idea- i just worry about still having to hunch over, i like to get down by the roots of the plant, and pull!

We already have a hori-hori, i actually broke it a few weeks ago trying to tackle these weeds. It's all bent and broken. Seriously- THAT's what I'm trying to tackle! :shock: :shock:

and I will search for- and check out0 the drowned weed thing! Roomie and his father wants to buy weed killers, but we've got some beautiful hostas that i'd rather not see die!

Basically, he owns the house- but he does dishes when I ask him too, and takes out the trash on fridays. Then he mows the lawn, and that's it :? We get a housekeeper every month that cleans the house, though oftentimes i will clean after a few weeks, because we're both semi-slobs-- but I'm extremely claustrophobic about the kitchen, so I'm cleaning it constantly. And cat sickness, too, because If I don't, it'll stay there for, like, weeks! Augh. He's going to fall apart when I move out- seriously!

Granted, he owns the freaking house- but weeding isn't all my job, damnit, and he simply won't help- even if i ask! he's always not feeling well, and even after a bit of lawn moving, he's basically having an asthma attack. I'm not sure how much if it's in his head, or not, but he sure as heck doesn't seem to care if I'm in pain or not.

He's always been this way, but recently it's just getting more frustrating and I just had to rant to someone- since i obviously can't to him!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. But I found the asthma thing interesting, as when my father-in-law was alive, he had very selective asthma. Whether my husband's mother noticed and never said anything to us, I don't know, but we sure noticed. Asthma seems to be a very 'interesting' problem. Certainly hope you are not in a relationship, with this fellow. Because if you are, I would RUN. :roll: Take care of yourself. :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Green Mantis wrote::( Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. But I found the asthma thing interesting, as when my father-in-law was alive, he had very selective asthma. Whether my husband's mother noticed and never said anything to us, I don't know, but we sure noticed. Asthma seems to be a very 'interesting' problem. Certainly hope you are not in a relationship, with this fellow. Because if you are, I would RUN. :roll: Take care of yourself. :)
Heheh. No, we're simply friends and roommates- no relationship. We used to be, and I *used* to love him, but no more! Not within the past year, at least. Friends is the best for us, as opposed to anything else. Overall, he's there (sometimes) when I need him most (like when my guinea pig passed away, he helped me by taking me to the vets to put her to sleep, etc) but most every day stuff, he's in a lot of pain, lot of breathing issues, lots of meds- I just suck it up, even though I'm in pain, and continue along that way. Still frustrating, though, ESPECIALLY when it comes to hard work that i can't do as much as he can't, but if I don't do it, nothing gets done!
Marlingardener wrote:Sounds like he's a real winner! Does he wear a mask when he mows? My husband is prone to allergies and when he mows, he wears one of those blue paper masks that come in a box of 100 at Harbor Freight.
Get a long-handled tool for weeding, a good strong one, and water the lawn well the day before you plan to have a weeding session. That makes things go easier and faster.
If resentment is building against your housemate, it's time to find another house. Preferably one with fewer weeds in the lawn!
Nope, no mask. Just lots of water (which i end up taking him when he yells for "water!".

This is the same roommate whos parents told me to put my seedlings outside, because the room I had them closed off in was the cats favorite room! :roll: :roll: Sadly, he really is a lovely man- and very sweet. Just lives for complaining, hates being outside (I LOVE being outside) and uses allergies, and asthma, for a lot of excuses.

God knows. Next year, after my bills are paying off, I'm getting a new place, with a bigger backyard (and a smaller house) for a bigger garden :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:wink: Sounds like a great idea, to get out of there as soon as you can. Doesn't sound like the greatest situation for you at all. Just keep thinking about your bigger garden, next year. :D

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Green Mantis wrote::wink: Sounds like a great idea, to get out of there as soon as you can. Doesn't sound like the greatest situation for you at all. Just keep thinking about your bigger garden, next year. :D
I am :D and i want to have some chickens for egg purposes, too ;) It's just tough, i like living with my roommate- and when there aren't things that need to be cleaned, etc- he's an awesome roommate. It's just that when there's stuff to be done, that it gets complicated!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”