gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Seems I am a hit at the market.

I took a bunch of tomatoes and some onions up to sell at the new produce market up the street. They bought everything I had though were wondering how the blacks would sell.

Well I went by today to get some corn and they were happy to tell me everything sold and pretty quickly. The onions went the fastest, they were Candy. All the tom's sold as well, they even had a few coming back for more. One guy fell in love with my Spudakee's and wants more, even asking them to plant some next year.

Now wait a minute that is my tomato I will grow it and sell them they don't need to plant their own. :lol:

Well I'm surprised they all sold so fast knowing how most people want the perfect red, perfect round tomatoes only. I am glad though they weren't stuck with them. They even said they tried a few and even though she didn't want to look at them they were amazingly tasty. 8) :lol: I told them in the first place I wouldn't bring them junk tomatoes, that these were some of the best of the best varitety's. I think they were pleasantly surprised and she wants me to bring up some more spudakee.

This is my first taste of the market garden life. Something I would really like to do someday. Even my wife is working hard so she can be the bread winner and me the farmer. She even said this morning I need to enlarge my latest garden plot. Enough said.

Look out DDF and you other market gardeners I'm coming. :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations, gixx! Your garden has made the difficult but rewarding transition from chemical-dependent to organic and bountiful! Woo-hoo!

Not only can you feed your household those yummy veggies--you're waking up taste buds in other households!

Wait till next year: those folks won't stop at asking *you* to grow the veggies--they'll be asking you *how* to grow them. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

:clap: All your hard work is paying off! That's fantastic! :-()

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Good for you!!!

I'm way to selfish to sell my veggies. I don't even like sharing. Mother nature keeps trying to kill me with this heat so mine just go right in the freezer. I tell everyone they taste terrible. :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia this garden has not seen the chemicals, that was in my past. :wink: Okay maybe a little Miracle grow but only a time or two. That was a few years ago. :oops:

Charlie MV you should be shamed of yourself. :P :wink: :lol: But I know how you feel. I keep giving away or selling most of my stuff. But I still have a ton more out there ready or very near ready for picking. I just brought a big bag of this and that to my neighbor, but he welded a broken hide away bed for me last weekend for free so I had to give him something (I guess I need to read the "5 little monkeys jumping on a bed" story to my kids again).

I just took up another basket of Spudakee to the market as well. She was upset I didn't bring any of my onions. :lol:

Oh yeah Cynthia they are already asking me "how to". I know enough to be dangerous but I am still green. But I feel like a master gardener with these people. Every time I am there I teach them something new. Which reminds me. I meant to ask them if they would hire me on, salary of course, as a consultant. 8)

ButterflyGarden

Congrats! They sound like interesting tomatoes. Can you post a picture of them?
thestoryofababy.blogspot.com

shadylane
Green Thumb

gixxerific, congrats on your accomplishments. You may already be known as the great gardener in your area.
I think I would bust with pride wearing my gardening bib-jeans bring a load of veggies to market.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nice work Dono. What prices did you decide on?

Now that they are addicted to good food, you may up the prices. :wink: 8)

Eric

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Way to go!
I can feel your smiles and good feelings traveling down the Mississippi to my port of call in Memphis.
Have fun!
Susan

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyGarden They are the bottom middle tomtoes in this pic.
https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05332.jpg

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

shadylane: I have a modest garden and I am not a gardening god I know some stuff but please. :oops: Yes my neighbors come to me for advice, I just wish they would take it more than they do. Maybe their gardens would be as good as mine. (dono patting himself on the back but still trying to be humble.) :lol:

DDF I am only getting about .75 cents a lb. they are only selling their regular tomatoes for 1.50 a lb. She actually said they would raise the price they sell mine to 1.75 since they are specialty. But whatever I am not getting rich off this, I am just getting rid of extras and making a few dollars.

I seem to remember you saying you sell yours for $4 lb at your stand. Maybe it is the area we are in but there are tomatoes everywhere so the price is cheaper here.

Jut did a search on a local supermarket that prides itself in homegrown produce. The "Homegrown" tomatoes are $1.58 the "Heirlooms" are $3.99. Maybe I need to bring this to their attention. :wink:

ButterflyGarden

I love the color! What are the ones in the upper left hand corner?
thestoryofababy.blogspot.com

rootsy
Green Thumb

Been selling my tomatoes $2.50 / lb but they are the first tomatoes at market aside from greenhouse grown organics from another local grower that go for about $3.50 / lb.

Local Walmart is selling their greenhouse grown stuff @ $1.78 / lb as of last Saturday.

To the point now that I can barely even give zucchini and cucumber away as the market is flooded.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”