joeybeagle
Newly Registered

Cow teeth and rocks

Hello: We recently had an area of our yard re-landscaped. The area was higher then the rest of the yard and had once been landscaped with mulch and some bushes that were not cared for and dying.
The landscapers scraped down the high spot and were supposed to prep the area for seeding, spread fertilizer, apply grass seed and cover with a straw mat.
Well, they leveled out the area and all I saw when they were finished was an area well covered with straw. A few weeks later it looked as though the grass was coming in. Once we removed the straw, were we surprised.
Our new lawn consists of some sad looking grass, a lot of weeds, crabgrass, fescue and rocks and cow teeth. There are several bare areas of dried up dirt with stones in it.
We were told that the new soil contained cattle bone which was supposed to supply calcium to the soil. The landscaper knew that the large bones and teeth were there. He pointed it out and laughed.
I now think they were laughing at me, since the yard looks so awful.
Has anyone ever heard of soil like this being used for a new lawn? The grass is so sparse and looks like it is kind of burnt out. The weeds are growing quite well and we do keep the area watered as advised by the landscaper.
I think we are going to have to retill the whole area, apply topsoil and reseed.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Did they bring this soil in? It sounds like they are very bad at their job. You got ripped off, I think.

applestar
Mod

How weird is that?! :shock:
...my first thought was that the raised area had been a burial mound for cow(s)... Strange and a bit creepy.... :?

joeybeagle
Newly Registered

Yes, they brought the soil in.
I, unfortunately, was not home the day they did the work. One of the guys mentioned to my husband what they called the dirt, he cannot remember though.

I've scoured the Internet trying to find a reference to this type of soil. Can't find a thing other than articles about bone meal being added to soil. This is not ground bone meal!

The area they worked on had at one time had a large tree on it. I believe the tree was removed at least ten years ago. The roots were left in the ground and I think the fungus from the decaying roots is what had killed the one small tree and the bushes in that area. It was kept covered with mulch until 4 years ago.

My intention was to have the area leveled off with the rest of the yard and to have grass planted so that the area would be a part of the lawn.
I took some before shots of the area and it's sadly humorous to look at them now. Before the area was about 50 percent covered with weeds.
The only difference now is that the area is closer to being level with the rest of the yard and it is 80 percent covered with weeds and other unwanted plants.

I've been trying to get the guy from the landscape company to come out and take a look at it. He doesn't seem to have time to drive the 5 miles from his office to look at it.

I do believe we were ripped off.

joeybeagle
Newly Registered

I spoke to someone at the landscaper's office today. They said the soil they used is "processed soil" and they claim it is of very high quality.
(high quality for weed growth?)

shadowsmom

They said the soil they used is "processed soil" and they claim it is of very high quality.
Processed soil from what - a dog food company? I don't understand how, or why, there would be teeth and really noticeable bones.

I once had topsoil delivered and fortunately it was dumped on a large tarp on the driveway. It was loaded with broken brown glass beer bottles. They did come and pick it up after I complained every day for two weeks.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I hestitate to contradict a texan about cows (but I'm from wisconsin originally, so it'll probably be alright) ...I have been around many cows in my life, including skeletons with their attendant skulls (not many horses have cauterization marks from where their horns had been), but cows DO have teeth. good-ol' ruminant molars, premolars, and incisors. tooth wear is used frequently to find cows' age.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The teeth aren't removed. Cows only have teeth in the lower jaw, the mandible. No teeth in the upper jaw, just the dental plates mentioned by Marlingardener. We raised steers when I was a kid. :)

joeybeagle
Newly Registered

I called the supplier where the landscaper said he got the "processed soil" The do have a processed soil that is a mix of top soil and compost. However he said that this year they didn't even start sifting this soil until the very end of June, beginning of July. That means there was no way my landscaper could have used that soil in my yard.

I asked the supplier if they had any type of soil that would have contained cow teeth and/or bone in it. He said no, and thought I was crazy for even asking. I told him that this dirt had bones, teeth and rocks in it. He said it didn't come from them. He thought maybe they had used compost until I told him about the rocks and bones.

I guess we got ripped off. Still thinking about how I am going to address this with the landscaper.

I am now worried about my yard. I want those weeds out of there before they spread to the rest of my yard. And I am concerned about what they put in my yard. Does anyone think it would be best to have the dirt removed and real topsoil put down before attempting to reseed in the fall?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

joeybeagle, I definately would have the soil removed. Anything with all that junk in it, isn't ever going to grow a good lawn. Sadly you did get ripped off. :( If you get another landscaper, make sure you get a list of people they have down work for before. Then go see the lawns, and talk to the people. Then if you are happy, go with them. Always do before and after pictures, just for this exact reason, actually with any work you ever have done. Would you be allowed to post a sign on the lawn, saying who did it and what is in it :?: Or put a letter in your local paper how un-happy you were with this company and why. Might pay to ask a lawyer first :?: Good Luck. I feel very bad for your experience. Also, always be home, when they do the work. I'ts obviously worth it.

Odd Duck

Just to set the record straight, cows have teeth on top and bottom in the back (cheek teeth, AKA premolars and molars). They only have teeth on the bottom in the front, no upper incisors. The back teeth are what does the real business of chewing for the cow. It's a very old cow indeed that is missing all of it's teeth and would have to be a truly pampered pet to survive as it couldn't live on grass at that point.

Cows (and horses, rabbits, Guinea pigs and many other herbivores) have what are called "open-rooted" teeth. These teeth will grow continuously until (or should I say, IF) the animal reaches a very advanced age. This design allows the teeth to renew themselves continuously, offering a continually freshened grinding surface, instead of wearing out in just a few years from chewing tough, often gritty, plantstuffs as food. If you or I were to try to live on grass, we would wear our teeth right down to stubs in no time.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

All the cud chewing animals, have top and bottom teeth, in the back, and bottom front. The top of the front of the mouth doesn't have teeth up there. But theY definately have teeth, or you wouldn't have to be so darn careful when examining a cud chewing animals mouth. They can be darn sharp :wink:

joeybeagle
Newly Registered

Thanks for the comments. I really didn't want this to be this much of a problem.
I am getting an estimate to remove the soil and prep the area properly. Now we have to wait until Sept, which really isn't a problem. In fact, I had asked the original landscaper if we should just wait until fall. he assured me it would be fine.
Fortunately I work in the legal field and have already obtained legal advice. I am following through with this. I imagine if he is doing this to me, he is doing this to others as well. Not a good idea in this economy.
I can't believe this has become such a problem. All I wanted was an area of my yard repaired and seeded. I don't think it should have been that difficult.

I would really like to know where they got the dirt with the cow teeth in it, the more I think about it, the more it creeps me out.[img]C:\Users\Susan\Downloads\2011-07-20 16.29.31.jpg

Oh, can anyone identify any of the things in this picture?
[img]https://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g323/joeybeagle1/toothfairy.jpg[/img]

joeybeagle
Newly Registered

LOL, no problem with the cow teeth hijacking. Cow teeth is the theme of this post and cow teeth seem to be a new topic in my life.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What a mess! :roll:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can't really see the item in the picture, if you could enlarge it, it would be more identifiable..............Sorry about your problem with all of this. I am VERY glad you are in the legal field, and can get this situation under control. As they definately will take advantage of other people. Those type always do......I hate to say it but it sounds like THEY CLEANED OUT A CATTLE FEEDLOT AND YOU GOT THE GARBAGE. Because that's the sort of things that are in there. Good Luck :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”