gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Selling at fruit the market?

What are good prices to sell for? Like for onions, tomatoes, garlic?

We have a new stand right up the street from me. It's actually pretty cool they have the stand in the front part of a field they have been growing beans and other winter cover crops in for years so it's great soil, they really have a great spot.

I went by a week or so ago and asked if he was interested in buying any overflow I might have. He seemed keen to the idea. I talked to him for about an hour while touring the garden he has. He is kind of new to this and I was actually giving him pointers.

He said he would pay .70 lb for tomatoes does that sound reasonable? I went and got some corn from him yesterday and he was almost sad I didn't have anything for him, he really wants some goodies from me.

I really need to bring him something he is a great guy and just aching for something real. They have been getting there stuff from a produce distributor for now until his garden starts kicking out what he needs.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I would make notes of $ at the store (Kroger etc). Also check out a farmers market and check $$ while browsing, and buying! Certified organics go higher than just 'grown without chemicals.' At the market I do (was there yesterday), tomatoes ranged from $2 -$4 /lb. That would suggest your price from the fruit stand guy should be at least $1/lb. Of course you may figure a price and trade out in things he has that you don't grow.

Just some thoughts

soil
Greener Thumb

good tomatoes here sell for 4$ a lb, some more. even ok chem grown tomatoes go for 2$ a lb.

id bring him a real tasty tomato, slice it up and let him try it and then ask for more. for all he knows your fruit taste just like the ones in the store. which I wouldn't even pay .70$ a lb for.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

In my neck of the woods the local supermarket offers locally grown produce and that is a good thing. I try to buy locally grown stuff whenever I can.

Creole tomatoes are going for $1.69 a lb.

cucumbers are going for $.50 each

bell peppers are high for this time of year at $.79 each

corn is going for 6 ears for $2

zucs and yellow crookneck squash is about $1.25 a lb.

Okra is $2.50 a lb. which I find ridiculous since it is so prolific a producer

Seedless melons are averaging $4 while the larger seeded varieties are running upwards of $6 each.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But of course all those prices are retail, I.e what the vendor asks for from the customer. It's not what the farmer or distributor is getting... (except maybe in the direct sales case where the farmer sells directly to the customer). But gixx can't expect to get full market price or what's the incentive to the guy who's standing there in a veggie stand in the hot sun, trying to sell produce?

applestar
Mod

I like the idea of bartering/trading tomatoes for corn, garlic for something else.... 8)

...and giving a sample of your tomatoes to try is inspired. :D

pickupguy07

yeah.. I think the advice to check prices at other places is best (and you may want to check several major big box grocery stores. Some always has higher prioces than others.

Of course you prices will have to be low enough he can purchase them from you, and then him resale them and make a profit. YOU also have to figure he'll have some spoilage, so common sense says he'll have to allow for that to when he purchases from you, and drive down what he'll pay.
One of the problems with road side stands is they over-price themselves.

rootsy
Green Thumb

If you do a bit of searching and calling you can find the source for your local wholesale pricing. Changes almost daily.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

You should start by calculating what it cost to produce. You may find out you are not making any money.

If you sell at the a Farmers market, you usually sell at the market price. Talk to your fellow vendors. Again you will probably find out, your not making any money. You can't give your quality produce away and you can't compare it to any grocery store prices.

Here,
tomatoes $3.-$4. per lb.
Garlic $8. per lb.
Mixed lettuce, $6.00 per bag, about $12.00 lb.
Head of lettuce $3. each
Large bunch of kale, collards, chard. $2.-$3.
Peas, beans $2. - $2.50 per lb.
Pumpkin, squash, something like $2. per lb.

Forget about adding up all your time invested. Make it a hobby with little pay.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Wow those prices are much higher than he is selling stuff for. I got .75 lb for my toms and a little more for my onions.

But hes is only selling his tom's for $1.50 these are homegrown locally not his as of yet. Maybe I need to tell him to raise his price. But than why do that, people want cheap good quality produce.

I thought about bartering, but not yet. I have been there talking to him several times this is the first time I have sold anything to him. This is really his first foray into this, he had job problems and a big plot of unused land next to him so he opened a produce stand. I have actually been giving him a ton of advice on growing. He is still green. Maybe I could trade my advice and work for produce. I have thought about that. Than I could learn by his mistakes, because if the sun shines in my favor this is what I would like to do someday.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

What do you do for a living? Will you do it for 1/4 pay?

Eric

pickupguy07

IMO you'll have to check locally to see what items sell for.
I know where I live near Atlanta, a head of lettuce is only ONE dollar (as opposed to three dollars) for doubledog who lives in WA.
Corn here is 35 cents and ear, and sometimes you find it 5 / dollar.
Cucumbers are 20 for $10
Broccoli crowns are $1.29 lb
Mixed letture are about $6 lb
colored bell peppers - 3 for $5 (I think thats too high, so I grow my own lol)
You get the idea... IMO Prices will be determined by the local cost. If there is an abundance for "X" item, it'll sell for less. If there is a shortage, it'll sell for more.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”