theresaseaber
Newly Registered

Help me work out why my grass keeps disappearing!

We moved into a new house 3 years ago. The first winter the turf laid down by the builders was fine.

Over the second winter the majority of the grass disappeared, Greenthumb advised Leatherjackets so have had their spray treatment, new turf laid and later on we put Nematodes down.

Since the Winter weather has set in this year and it has been awfully wet the grass has just gone again. Greenthumb say it is just because of the wet soil. It seems to lie on the top of the heavy clay soil and not drain off. Considering putting trenches in but we dug a deep hole to see if the rain is draining away which it does at times but not when we have had a lot of rain. The bottom of the hole can be quite dry whilst the surface very wet - the hole is not filling up with water though until it rains again. The grass does not get any sun at this time of year. Is it the combination of rain and no sun?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It sounds to me like you have a clay based soil. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, the quick fix is to spread top soil over the area that you wish to plant.

But, I would suggest that you first dig several trenches perpendicular to the slope of the land and lay gravel at the bottom of the trenches, then a layer of leaves (I like maple and apple) followed by the existing soil.

After that, I would lay mulched up leaves over the top of the existing soil followed by a layer of manure. If you use a composted manure, you can spread the grass seed directly over the top of the manure but, I would recommend waiting until spring.

Go to your local nurseries and ask about grasses that will germinate in winter as well. Perhaps do a little research on the internet.

Newt
Greener Thumb

One of the best ways I've found to break up clay soil and improve drainage is to add lots of compost. A 3" or 4" layer tilled into the soil should help. Of course if you add the leaves/manure as Opabinia suggests it will become compost over the winter. I would definately suggest you till it in to break up the clay or you will have the same situation of good soil sitting on top of clay.

I don't usually recommend bringing in topsoil as that can bring in weed seeds and compound the problems. The RHS has some good info about lawns too as I'm thinking you are in the UK.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/problems_lawns.asp

Also consider core aerating and topdressing with compost each fall until the problem no longer exists.
https://www.american-lawns.com/lawns/aeration.html
https://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com/lawnaeration.html

Newt

lefty317

good ideas all...

you can core aerate and then topdress with composted manure in the spring and fall..... also make sure you are using a shady seed mix when you reseed.

chris :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”