Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rain water

It is a no brainer that some rain water better than dragging out hose and sprinkler. Is there also an organic reason for this? And with this, does an electric (thunder) storm add anything?

Came to my attention as I noticed some things needing a good water, including lawn. I had just finished mowing the front yard, and we had a pop up shower and decent amount of water to hit everything in question.

Downside of this is the viney and weedy stuff growing like topsy.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The most recent research that I was able to find about nitrogen in rain that falls during thunderstorms is that it is miniscule. Lightening does release some nitrogen into the air, but winds spread the rain over such distances ... often several miles after a lightening bolt ... that the amount of nitrogen that reaches to the ground in any one area is not significant in regard to aiding plant growth.

I don't know whether it's accurate information or not, but it was the latest research I was able to find from what seemed to be a reliable source, I.e. an actual scientific study. :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

There may not be much nitrogen fixed by lightning, but some of the old guys I've talked to were sure it added some to feilds...

smudgedude
Newly Registered

I think it's just that it's natural, lacking all the extra stuff that gets put into tap water.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”