SPierce
Greener Thumb

My car smells like Straw

I've had 3 Bales in the back of my car all day in the 90 degree weather, cause I bought them during lunch! whoops! Now my car smells like hay, any way to make it go away easily after I take them out? :D

:lol: :lol:

applestar
Mod

If you ask me, sounds like it would smell much better than artificial car scent. Did you know they have "new car" fragrance? Yours is what, "natural straw"? "hayride"? :lol:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:If you ask me, sounds like it would smell much better than artificial car scent. Did you know they have "new car" fragrance? Yours is what, "natural straw"? "hayride"? :lol:
OMG, that's so true! I've been popping into my car every once in a while, and I'm all "yay! reminds me of my grandpa's farm!" I like hayride

But I have a feeling it'd drive me nuts after a while! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

It will go away, too fast. Enjoy it while you can!!! I love the smell of fresh hay, baled straw, etc. :wink:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

It may go away too fast, but now I'm in the opposite situation! I think I bought too much ! :shock:

I completely covered my garden in it, and I have an entire bale, plus half the original one left!

What the heck do I do with it?? I can't take anymore room for my garden, my roommate will freak out when he sees all the straw I've left in the backyard!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:wink: Just pile it higher on top of the other straw. It all rots down anyway, doesn't matter how thick it is. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Just great compost/mulch for next year!!! Don't get rid of it. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Last summer, after I used up all the downed leaves I had collected the previous fall, I bought a bale of straw to use as a brown in my compost pile. It didn't break down quite as quickly as the leaves, but it did break down. And even in my small garden, between mulching and composting, I did use up the bale by the time the leaves started coming down again.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'll go stuff some more out there when it's rain, cause that will flatten everything- but if I try to lay down anymore straw I'm going to completely bury my plants! I have a complete full bale of hay left, in addition to the half of one down in my garden, and now I'm at a loss. Thought about starting a compost pile for next year, but don't really have the ability to do so anymore since it isn't my house...

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Just set it aside, and as the straw you have already put down, slowly deterorates, keep topping it off. A bale of straw standing on end doesn't take up much room. Might as well keep it, since it's there now. You will use it up, faster than you think actually!!!!
This fall put the whole works on your garden, to let it rot down over the winter. Good Luck!! :D

You won't have any weeds, as you keep adding this year!!! :wink:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:Just set it aside, and as the straw you have already put down, slowly deterorates, keep topping it off. A bale of straw standing on end doesn't take up much room. Might as well keep it, since it's there now. You will use it up, faster than you think actually!!!!
This fall put the whole works on your garden, to let it rot down over the winter. Good Luck!! :D

You won't have any weeds, as you keep adding this year!!! :wink:
I'm about to find out just how fast it breaks down- we've got our first major rain rolling through since I laid the straw down! I just didn't expect to have so much left over! Putting it down for the winter to go into the soil for the winter/breaking down/etc is a definite plan, too. I just didn't expect it to be so fluffy!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I'ts amazing how fast that fluffy straw does flatten down, next thing you know, you will be going back for more, for winter. If any weeds come up, just cover them with straw. Keeps them down. Start collecting grass cuttings now too, to put down on the garden, over the winter as well. As well as lots of leaves come fall. You will be sort of sheet composting your garden. Which will make it much nicer to work with next year. Good Luck. Happy Gardening. :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

A big tractor just went down to my neighbor's place to hay his fields, it is haying time around here. I love the smell of fresh cut hay.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Doesn't fresh cut hay smell good, I could smell that all day. Too bad they couldn't make a perfume out of it. In the winter you could take it out and have a good sniff of it. :wink:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Green Mantis wrote::D Doesn't fresh cut hay smell good, I could smell that all day. Too bad they couldn't make a perfume out of it. In the winter you could take it out and have a good sniff of it. :wink:
Heh. Reminds me of grandpas farm! I miss the farm, at least, sometimes!

Right now, I have a bale and a half of straw with which I have nothing to do with! :(

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”