lily51
Greener Thumb

Is this plant in your area?

Unfortunately, the plant I was tracking down turned out to be poison hemlock. It is everywhere around here. A young neighbor works for an ag company and they just had a seminar on it yesterday. It should not even be within 40'-60' of livestock's foodsource, so hayfields have to be on the lookout. Would think this would also apply to gardens for us humans. If you're in Ohio, watch out for it this year.

It looks like tall Queen Anne's Lace,but has a very thick stem streaked with purple.

ozark_rocks

I have it. It was here when I moved in. I made sure the kids knew it was poison, and we stay away from it. It is over 60 feet from my garden, but not my fruit trees. So far our animals, avoid it to, and even the deer know not to eat it.[/I]

shadylane
Green Thumb

I have it here also,I think it is a pretty plant with it's huge white umbrella like blooms and laced like foliage. I think the butterflies use it.
One can tell if you have a Queens lace plant, by it having a tiny single pink bloom in the center of the white bloom head.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup! I thought so:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207618#207618

Don't have any in my yard this year, but I have been seeing it around. It starts out as a pretty plant, but gets gigantic and takes over your yard and if you let it go to seed then you will have tons of them...

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

We get lots of queen anne's lace in the yard but I haven't yet seen any poison hemlock. I hope I get to skip seeing it, eek! If it shows up here it would never leave :cry:

Jenny.lee
Newly Registered

My mom was out and about in the woods and seen one, she thought it was soooo neat! So she cut one down and brought it home, it dried out and looked pretty neat. Then hauled it to the compost in the back yard...
Well 2 years later one started growing. We had no idea what it was at the time. So my Mom let it grow... the neighbours even commented on how fast it grew. When it finally stopped it was almost 7 feet tall. Started its flower again. It wasnt until the next year that she found out what it was and how poisonous it was. Can't believe none of us got a rash or anything. The one that grew was right near the pathway. So we went about the yard killing the little plants. (we had realised it was growing everywhere but wasnt getting enough light to fully mature.) NOTHING would kill it! It would keep coming back over and over. We stomped it, chopped it up, used weed killer, even bleach. Nothing worked. We moved. Our efforts to get rid of it were not in vain though. Most of the little plants never came back. It was only the bigger ones that did.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”