jellyfish
Newly Registered

dahlias

hi ive planted some dahlias this year they have risen sprouted and ive been told that I must lift them rather than leave them in the ground I want to leave them in the ground over the winter and if I do so what will be the repurcussions if any if I do

it depends what your zone is my is zone5 and we have to dig them up and store them for the winter but if it don't freeze where you are you can leave them in the ground

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jellyfish,

Dahlia tubers don't survive freezing as Sharon stated. I'm thinking you are in the UK and in hardiness zone 8.

If so, you should dig and store them for the winter. If that isn't possible, be sure to put lots of mulch or chopped leaves on top of the soil to keep them from freezing. Here's how to dig and store them.

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I concur with NEWT. What is normally done is people store the dhalia tubers in a cool dark place for the winter (usually in peat). However, the harvesting of peat is very large environmental problem and therefore I'll recommend that you use cocoa bean hulls or some other alternative.

You can research peat alternatives with google if you can't find cocoa hulls.

(Cocoa hulls usually come in the form of a brick so, you would have to break the brick up(don't wet it or the tubers will rot over winter).

Joanne
Newly Registered

I wrap them in newspaper and put in cardboard boxes on a shelf in the garage for the winter. I put sulpher on to protect them from disease.

Joanne

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the input Joanne, much appreciated.

I'll try that this year.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”