wordwiz
Green Thumb

At last, I ordered a weather station

I have been craving one of these ofr a couple of years. One that will measure and log rainfall, temps, humidity, wind speed - the whole gamut. Given costs and what they offer, I settled on the Ambient 1090 with the better solar shield. I would love to be able to add a PAR meter, preferably to the weather station or even at a somewhat remote location - as long as the data can be transmitted to my computer. Apogee has a great PAR sensor at a semi-decent price; I e-mailed to see if their sensor could be incorporated into Ambient's system.

I would love to be able to track everything that relates to the weather, sunshine and how it affects growing plants. It feels great to be able to take the first step. Not to mention, I'll be able to post data the Wunderground for the middle Cincinnati area!

Mike

thebigtomato

That sounds fascinating! I think it would be awesome to be able to monitor your own sub-climate. Good Luck and keep us updated! Cheers!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

wordwiz, Where did you get your OFR from???? Would love to look it up and see what sort of things it does. I never know the temperature! Or any of the rest! Very frustrating. Thanks in advance. :D

jenny22
Newly Registered

I started using a weather station a couple of years ago, and I think it adds lots of value to my gardening hobby. Monitoring your micro climate and comparing historical data is quite interesting, and can help you make better decisions about your garden.

The device I am using is equipped with soil sensor for monitoring moisture and temperature. This feature helps me determine the best moment for planting.

The problem with all these instruments is that they can get quite pricey with all the features added. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since this four year old post got resurrected, I had to go look up PAR which wasn't meaning anything to me in this context:

The PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) Sensor reports the Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD), which corresponds to micromoles of photons per ...

very high techy measure of ambient light I guess.... wow, micromoles of photons! :shock:

a mole I do remember from chemistry class is Avogadro's number, 6.022 x 10 to the 23rd power. A micromole would presumably be one millionth of that or 6 x 10 to the 17th power. And there is a device that ordinary people can own that can measure photon density !? usually we hear about watts or lumens or candelas (candlepower?)

Amazing!

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I have wanted a station for a long time...so I could be part of the weather underground group. Maybe someday right after a greenhouse.

imafan26
Mod

All I have had was a rain guage. The rest, I get from NOAA. Actually, the local NOAA group here was looking for a place to set up their local weather monitor. It was also basically a rain guage. It was not electronic though, it actually depended on someone going out at the same time of day every day and recording on paper the daily totals.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”