JB Goode

PLant Zones

Hi
I realize that this isn't the right place to post this but I have no idea what other section to go to so I apologise

I'm trying to find out about plant zones numbers . I live in Northeast PA ( east of Scranton) about 3 hrs from Upstate NY. I'm in a direct line with NY so the weather is the same in both places. Both are high elevation areas.
So learning what my zone is will help me in the future as to what to stay away from ( plant wise).
Is it possible that someone could possibly supply me with the zone number or numbers for my part of the US?
Thanks
Dave

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I moved your question to this section. :)

You can use the site at the following link. Just type your zip code in the search box provided:

https://www.arborday.org/treeinfo/zonelookup.cfm

JB Goode

OK! thanks

Now I know that my number is #6.I never knew there was such a place to find out the info I wanted.
It'll help me.

Dave

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

That's really interesting. I think we are in zone 3 or 4. It does get down to minus 40 in the winter if the wind is blowing ( usually is) Good to know. Thanks AGAIN Kisal :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:That's really interesting. I think we are in zone 3 or 4. It does get down to minus 40 in the winter if the wind is blowing ( usually is) Good to know. Thanks AGAIN Kisal :D
You're in Sunset climate zone 1B:

"Coldest Eastern Rockies and Plains Climate of Wyoming, Montana, and Southwestern Alberta
"...Arctic cold fronts sweep through 6 to 12 times a year, sometimes dropping temperatures by 30 or 40 deg F in 24 hours. The summer growing season tends to be warm and generous at 110 to 140 days long; but constant winds--12 miles per hour average (20 kph), year-round in many places--call for windbreaks and shade trees, like hackberries and cottonwoods, whose leaves are animated by the wind....With protection, annual vegetables and flowers thrive, as do wind-tolerant perennials such as buckwheats, grasses, and penstemons." (Sunset Western Garden Book, 7th ed., p. 32)

Sound familiar?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: Well that figures, turn me around once and I'm lost, lol!!!! So 1B, Thank you cynthia_h at least I know where I am now, lol . Thanks again.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”