gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What is up with this crazy bee???????????????

I have a mini Lilac bush in my front yard. And for weeks there is this bumblebee that is madly in love with this bush. Every day he is out there circling it mainly just hovering about 3 foot off the ground looking in the bushes direction. It is rather odd. Is it waiting for the flowers to get bigger or is it just insane? I keep telling him the flowers won't get any bigger but he doesn't listen.

It will take off for a bit but be back shortly and hover around the bush about 8 foot out. It has even chased me I guess to protect it's prized bush that he has sworn to keep safe. :lol:

applestar
Mod

:lol:

but seriously, it might bee a carpenter bee queen protecting her nest. Is there any wooden structure in the area? mailbox, fence, bench...? turn over or look underneath for a round hole about the size of a sharpie pen.

Carpenter bees are intimidating because they're big, round, and shiny black... And they hover at eye level and dive and buzz at you, but they're typically harmless and only forehead butt you, not sting. Scary for little kids and allergic people though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not so sure it is a carpenter bee I am pretty sure it is a bumble bee. This thing is fat and I have carpenter bees at last house.

But to what AS said. There is no hole that I have found. And nothing for it to carpenter. The bush is 5 feet from the corner of my house with no wood in site. It' all brick and concrete there. Maybe I should take a pic this weird guy has me perplexed.

I have not been out there yet today but if my memory serves me right it is a bumblebee I just looked up the difference. I will have to check this out. :? :roll:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”