EFB
Newly Registered

Winterizing Elephant Ears

I'm here in Kansas City and we've had a couple of light freezes. My elephant ear has done fairly well, but this morning I noticed that all of the leaves are now greying and wilted. Obviously it is time to dig it up and winterize the bulb (if that is what it's called). My question is regarding cutting the leaves off. Should I leave any length attatched? Cut them flush with the bulb? Any advice is welcome.

Janet W

From what I read, they don't much like being in temps under 70 degrees. I have one and I lifted it a couple of weeks ago and it had petered down to just a few leaves. I repotted it and cleaned up any dead or dying leaves by pulling them out (whole stem and leaf). The remaining leaves died one by one as I let it dry out in the new pot. New shoots began to emerge so I watered it and it is getting new shoots every day. I'm growing mine on as a houseplant for the winter. I'm sure you can store them in a dry state with temps around room temperature to give them a dormant period, but try telling mine that! Janet

EFB
Newly Registered

hmm... I was thinking more of dormancy. This thing is WAY too big for inside my house.

Janet W

Try this site on overwintering tender bulbs, Janet

www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/gardenerscorner/issue

EFB
Newly Registered

Janet W wrote:Try this site on overwintering tender bulbs, Janet

urbanext.uiuc.edu/gardenerscorner/issue
Thank you. That is exactly the info I was looking for. I had to edit your link though. I think some of it must have gotten cut off when you cut and pasted. Thanks again.

Janet W

You are very welcome! Janet

jennzmark
Newly Registered

EFB wrote:hmm.. I was thinking more of dormancy. This thing is WAY too big for inside my house.
I pulled up my elephant ears today for the first time..It was a job..The roots grew so much into the ground..I had 4 of them ...I brushed off the dirt and I put them in my basement with the roots and all...Is that the right way to do it...Do I cut the roots off? what r the corms???? These people shpould be more detailed for newbies like me..I need pics or something...........

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”