Rogue11

Water pump

Our house came with a small pond in the backyard that is very poorly constructed and not good for anything. Eventually (but not any time soon) we are planning on rebuilding it to turn it into a koi pond or something. At the moment however wit's just unused.
Since we had a lot of rain during winter and early spring water has collected in it which I would like to remove. Not knowing the first thing about water pumps etc I was hoping someone here has any suggestions. I am looking for a pump that is not very expensive and that I can use to drain out any rain or sprinkler water that collects in the pond.

Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If all you want is to empty it, just use a siphon.

[url=https://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=siphon+hose&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11564409266798706992&sa=X&ei=m826TaTQN8nr0gGs9ozFBQ&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers]siphon[/url]

Rogue11

Like I said I don't know much about this stuff, but what I remember about siphons from when my dad used to clean his aquarium, is that water doesn't flow up. So how would that work in a pond that is the lowest point in the garden?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is the point of a siphon. If the water only needed to flow down, you wouldn't need a siphon, you would just put a hose in it. The siphon creates a vacuum, which creates suction, which pulls the water UP. Just like magic. I siphon water out of the bottom of our two foot tall pond all the time.

If the pond, is the lowest point in your garden, then I guess there is a question about where the water goes after it is out of the pond. But that would be the same whether you siphon it out or pump it out. Where were you going to pump it to?

Rogue11

Since there is not that much water in the pond just some sprinkler runoff and rainwater I was planning on putting it in a bucket that I can dump. It's probably only 2-3 bucks in there.

highdensity10
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:That is the point of a siphon. If the water only needed to flow down, you wouldn't need a siphon, you would just put a hose in it. The siphon creates a vacuum, which creates suction, which pulls the water UP. Just like magic. I siphon water out of the bottom of our two foot tall pond all the time.

If the pond, is the lowest point in your garden, then I guess there is a question about where the water goes after it is out of the pond. But that would be the same whether you siphon it out or pump it out. Where were you going to pump it to?
Siphon only works if the end of the hose is lower than the pond.

Do you want something automatic? What kind of power source do you have out there? What volume of water are you talking about, and how deep is it? How far away do you need to discharge it?

I've been a plumber for four years now, answers to these questions are all great starting points. :)

Rogue11

Automatic, as in something that turns on by itself? No. I was thinking of something small and portable that I can take out when needed.
We don't get much (if any) rain over the summer so I would only need it after some good downpours in the rainy season.
The pond is only about 2 feet deep at the deepest point, it has 3 separate areas that don't drain into each other so I would have to be able to move the pump. I have a power outlet nearby where I can get electricity from. Volume, hmm... not quite sure, depends on how heavy it rains I guess, but probably no more than 10- 15 gallons. Ideally I would like to pump the water into buckets since there is no drain anywhere nearby.
Does that help, Highdensity?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

You can buy a rotary pump at Lowes or HD that connects to a cordless drill. It's about 8 bucks. Use the Google.

https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=138026-15649-PPDRP-1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1015177&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

LIcenter

If you are planning on a rebuild in the future, and have no use for it now, other than growing skeeters; Why not just punch a hole in the bottom, and be done with it. I have no idea of the construction of it, but if it has a rubber liner, you most likely are gonna have to change it out anyway. If it's one of those plastic tub designs, you can still drop a liner in it if you decide to reuse it.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”