Canadian Farmer Guy

lorax wrote: It's currently overcast and about 22 C, and guess what? We're in for more rain this afternoon! :shock:
Count your blessings.
Up here its 2 degrees Celsius and raining.
I'd take your weather over mine any day.

I love Canada, but her weather can be unpleasant.
I miss the sun.

Now I have to go put more wood in the fireplace.
And find a sweater.

Blasted cold!

CFG

lorax
Greener Thumb

I believe I may have mentioned that I'm from northern Alberta originally. I know when I've got it good.

That said, it's still raining and my plant pots are floating away down the street - I'd better go catch 'em. :()

krzyk4
Cool Member

Good ol northern Alberta! We are finally getting some sun that has turned the 3 feet of snow in my yard into about 1 foot so fast that everyone has flooding basements. It got to 6 celcius I think, but snow is in the forecast this week! At least I have a nice warm and sunny mudroom to start my seeds :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

close to 80's for a few days now - except for a brief period on saturday where we got a major dumping of HUGE hail on us. variably sized - up to a bit bigger in diameter than a quarter, piled up about two inches deep. a lot of the stuff I had out hardening off were evidently not hard enough, 'cause they got straight-up pulped. lost little branches (and lots of flowers and developing fruit) on many fruit bushed/trees...

ouch.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Mid 80's here in New Orleans with lots of sun today. I'll get the grass cut and trimmed early today to avoid the hottest part of the day because I have other gardening duties to perform. Summer weather is fast approaching :cry:

Canadian Farmer Guy

lorax wrote:I believe I may have mentioned that I'm from northern Alberta originally. I know when I've got it good.

That said, it's still raining and my plant pots are floating away down the street - I'd better go catch 'em. :()
Hmmm... I suppose we all have our challenges.

Try tying ropes to your pots.
You could have a "floating garden".

Hang in there!

CFG

GardenNut101

It's cold here. Cold wind, no sun. Too early to get hanging baskets and troughs started.

Still - am enjoying the primroses, tulips and bluebells while I'm waiting to get everything else started.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The peas, lettuce, radish, are all up. Crab apple bonsai are blooming. Its been raining like mad. Again.

And, I hope every mole in my backyard DROWNS! ;)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It has been rainning so hard it is crazy.
Snow on Mt. Hood and we got over 550" this year up there so there should be water for the farmers this summer.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's wet. Not much else to say. Backyard looks like a lake. :(

GardenNut101

Well we've suddenly got summer! It's 22 degrees and I've had to water all the winter pansies that are wilting in all the heat. Kids have even had to put suncream on - amazing 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's decent weather here today. Backyard is back to normal. Overcast skies, about 55º F. I think I'm gonna go run some errands. Too nice to stay in front of the computer. (They say there might be a sighting of the sun tomorrow! :lol: )

applestar
Mod

It was 80+...°F here. Forecast low tomorrow night is 37°F, which puts the actual likely temp at 34 or 35. :roll:

Chaesman

The last 12 days or so has been wet to say the least we have recieved 14 plus inches of rain and the levees on the mississippi are flowing over in spots and about to in others. the river levels have gotten so bad that about 30 miles south of us the Blew a Hole in a levee to flood about 137,000 acers of farm land + 100 homes :( . accually felt like and earth quake when it was blown last night 2 more explossions due to happen today.
Here is the footage of the blast done late last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPqnjPF3Vc&feature=channel_video_title

Today looks clear for a change so I am planning on getting out in the garden a little later to see the damage. *** Just a note even with all the rain my soil drains so fast the garden never flooded over.

Jon

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's actually trying to rain right now for the first time in several weeks. I'm getting small sprinkles then nothing, but the potential is there by looking at the sky.

We've been going through a bit of a dry spell and it has led to me having to water the garden more than I usually have to this time of year. We've also been getting a lot of gusting winds that also dry out the ground pretty quick.

I know what I'll do, I'll get a bucket, the hose, some detergent and a chamois and go wash and detail my truck. It is sure to rain then.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

OH yes; the sun is out and it will be about 70; I am going out side soon. :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The sun has been out for the second day in a row. More rain is in the forecast tho.

IMO warm enough (just barely) for tomato to harden off out of doors.

Anybody down stream from me in the shallower parts of the Mississippian watershed aught to pay attention to flooding warnings.

This was by report the third wettest April in SE-OH history. I can say for sure every local river, stream, and intermittant creek is full to the brim.

All this water is headed someplace...

nosta

Miserable :

High: 98°F
RealFeel: 107°F

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's 2 P.M. and only 63º outside. Overcast and rainy, the same as yesterday. It's supposed to be this way through Tuesday, when the sun should reappear and the temps should return to the mid 70s. Will summer ever arrive in Oregon this year? :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal this rain is never going to stop; it calls for rain all week. I need to start roofing. The last two days I stayed in and worked on my music so I made the best of it.

TomC this was the 2nd wettest spring on record in Oregon and it is turning out to be a wet summer also. Wish we could share some with our Texas and Eastern friends.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Neighbor seems to have given up on his roof for now. He has part of it covered with what I think is now called roofing felt, but we used to call it tar paper. The rest is under a blue tarp. Poor guy!

I'm off to find my zip-front hoodie. It's downright cold today! :shock:

john gault
Green Thumb

I live here because of the weather; I don't mind the heat and love the mild winters. However, (and I hope this is very temporary) I've noticed that since the winter of 2009 that the cold days last longer, meaning months at a time. Use to be that we would experience a few cold snaps then the temps would recover and this cycle would repeat itself several times during the winter and then spring would spring.

However, starting in the winter of 2009 we experienced a very cold winter that killed my 6 ft tall hibiscus that previously had no problem surviving the winter. Since that first die-off it comes back every year, but won't grow more than 3 ft high before the extremely cold winter kills it again. :evil:

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's winter here, hence it's cloudy and rainy and bleh and chilly, only about 21 C at the peak of the day if we're very lucky, and currently about 18 C. Overnight it goes down to around 5 C.

Ugh, I can't wait for August and summer!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It's so hot my corn is sweating.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It may stop rainning this week end. WET WET RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!!!!! :?

pepper4
Green Thumb

It has been miserably hot and humid here in Ohio the past few days and will be for until Sunday. Temps were in the nineties with a heat index around 110. Very little rain :(

eklawun

Here in NE Oklahoma the daytime highs have not been below 90 all month with most days being 100 or more. I wonder when it will get cooler??? The five-day forecast offers no hope... We need a sweating emoticon.

shadylane
Green Thumb

It has been hot and dry for weeks and temps range in the high 90's. Yesterday we finally had rain. Not quite an inch but I'll take it.

Chicago recieved 7" in one down pour!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Will it ever stop rainning? :(

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Will it ever stop rainning? :(
I'm about to ask the same thing. We had a very dry late winter and spring with rainfall levels at only about 10% of normal range. Well, were now making up for all that lost rainfall.

It has been raining almost daily for a week now with no end in sight. The good thing is the temperatures are being held down a bit with the overcast skies, but the humidity is 100%. My garden is so wet that heading out to harvest what is left is now done barefoot and I'm sinking up to my ankles in the slush that is my soil. If this keeps up, there won't be anything left to harvest due to root rot except the Japanese Yard Long beans. They are planted in the highest part of my yard. Those things are loving the rain.

AdamKR

Believe it our not this July has been pretty darn hot up here in southern Wisconsin. We have had our share of days in the 90's (though not as bad as you folks down south). We are also in a mini-slight drought for once, which usually we have the opposite. We just picked up a heavy 2 inches of rain a few days ago but before that we didn't measure an inch this whole month yet which is very low for this time of year. Last July Milwaukee and other areas up here saw record July flooding, this year it's totally reversed. What a difference a year makes!

applestar
Mod

Now that I want to harvest onions, it keeps raining... Just enough to keep the soil damp. I found two onions that have gone soft. :x

I went out just ahead of pouring/thunder/lightning storm to pick some corn for dinner. While I was headed for the corn patch, every flash/bang was striking the ground in the horizon ahead of me. but I got back inside before the storm clouds reached the house and it started to rain buckets.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Still hot, totally hot, nothing but the hot so help me. I am tired of being wet and red. We change shirts 3 times a day. Tomorrow we will be close to the end of the second planting. It took longer this year due to the heat.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Nice weather here, IMO. Ranges from high 70s to mid 80s. I run the a/c when the temp edges over 82. No rain, but that's typical for August in Oregon. (We get our fill of it during the winter months, anyway. :lol: )

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This 100+ makes the good ol' days of 96 look pleasant!
We have had mid-hi 90's since 1st June, now a few days of ugly hot 100's. Usually this starts now, but getting a whopping 3 months of it this year.

applestar
Mod

It's going to rain all day and into the night....
:shock: Completely unheard of all season. I've forgotten what that's even like. Flash/flood warnings everywhere. I'm thinking of all the dry river, pond, and lake beds where plants as well as animals have been growing/living all summer... And of course danger to people., too.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I ripped some of my roof off so I made it rain. I had help putting tarps over it. :cry:

lily51
Greener Thumb

Our little spot of Ohio had an extremely hot, humid and rainy July...8" of rain to be exact. That with the string of 90+ temps has caused garden plants, crops and lawns to grow remarkably.
The temp has cooled down to the the 80's in August, but we're still getting rain, right now even. Hope it stops before golf league today.
What started out as the worse spring ever to try to plant anything has turned into a bountiful season. :D

applestar
Mod

WHAT is going on!? It's 53°F outside this morning! I IS still summer, isn't it? :roll:

applestar
Mod

OK TOTAL weirdness :o
Me had a tiny earthquake!! :shock:
-- practically unheard of in NJ.
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/earthquake_rocks_new_jersey_an.html

This report said it was centered near Richmond, Va. Hope all is well....

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”