pepper4
Green Thumb

It has been miserably hot and humid here in Ohio the past few days and will be for until Sunday. Temps were in the nineties with a heat index around 110. Very little rain :(

eklawun

Here in NE Oklahoma the daytime highs have not been below 90 all month with most days being 100 or more. I wonder when it will get cooler??? The five-day forecast offers no hope... We need a sweating emoticon.

shadylane
Green Thumb

It has been hot and dry for weeks and temps range in the high 90's. Yesterday we finally had rain. Not quite an inch but I'll take it.

Chicago recieved 7" in one down pour!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Will it ever stop rainning? :(

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Will it ever stop rainning? :(
I'm about to ask the same thing. We had a very dry late winter and spring with rainfall levels at only about 10% of normal range. Well, were now making up for all that lost rainfall.

It has been raining almost daily for a week now with no end in sight. The good thing is the temperatures are being held down a bit with the overcast skies, but the humidity is 100%. My garden is so wet that heading out to harvest what is left is now done barefoot and I'm sinking up to my ankles in the slush that is my soil. If this keeps up, there won't be anything left to harvest due to root rot except the Japanese Yard Long beans. They are planted in the highest part of my yard. Those things are loving the rain.

AdamKR

Believe it our not this July has been pretty darn hot up here in southern Wisconsin. We have had our share of days in the 90's (though not as bad as you folks down south). We are also in a mini-slight drought for once, which usually we have the opposite. We just picked up a heavy 2 inches of rain a few days ago but before that we didn't measure an inch this whole month yet which is very low for this time of year. Last July Milwaukee and other areas up here saw record July flooding, this year it's totally reversed. What a difference a year makes!

applestar
Mod

Now that I want to harvest onions, it keeps raining... Just enough to keep the soil damp. I found two onions that have gone soft. :x

I went out just ahead of pouring/thunder/lightning storm to pick some corn for dinner. While I was headed for the corn patch, every flash/bang was striking the ground in the horizon ahead of me. but I got back inside before the storm clouds reached the house and it started to rain buckets.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Still hot, totally hot, nothing but the hot so help me. I am tired of being wet and red. We change shirts 3 times a day. Tomorrow we will be close to the end of the second planting. It took longer this year due to the heat.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Nice weather here, IMO. Ranges from high 70s to mid 80s. I run the a/c when the temp edges over 82. No rain, but that's typical for August in Oregon. (We get our fill of it during the winter months, anyway. :lol: )

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This 100+ makes the good ol' days of 96 look pleasant!
We have had mid-hi 90's since 1st June, now a few days of ugly hot 100's. Usually this starts now, but getting a whopping 3 months of it this year.

applestar
Mod

It's going to rain all day and into the night....
:shock: Completely unheard of all season. I've forgotten what that's even like. Flash/flood warnings everywhere. I'm thinking of all the dry river, pond, and lake beds where plants as well as animals have been growing/living all summer... And of course danger to people., too.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I ripped some of my roof off so I made it rain. I had help putting tarps over it. :cry:

lily51
Greener Thumb

Our little spot of Ohio had an extremely hot, humid and rainy July...8" of rain to be exact. That with the string of 90+ temps has caused garden plants, crops and lawns to grow remarkably.
The temp has cooled down to the the 80's in August, but we're still getting rain, right now even. Hope it stops before golf league today.
What started out as the worse spring ever to try to plant anything has turned into a bountiful season. :D

applestar
Mod

WHAT is going on!? It's 53°F outside this morning! I IS still summer, isn't it? :roll:

applestar
Mod

OK TOTAL weirdness :o
Me had a tiny earthquake!! :shock:
-- practically unheard of in NJ.
https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/earthquake_rocks_new_jersey_an.html

This report said it was centered near Richmond, Va. Hope all is well....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Currently 98* here in sunny, hot, humid, miserable New Orleans. The heat index is probably close to 110* for our "Feels Like" temperature.

Cooler weather can't get here fast enough to suit me.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and in the mid 80s. A/C is on for the comfort of the pups. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

We are forecast to reach 96 today. We might just tie the record for this date! We have had such a hot August that my peppers think they died and went to Texas :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”