schism
Newly Registered

What are these large smooth tunnels?

I've happened upon two large underground tunnels while digging. The first was a foot under the surface and approximately 2" in diameter with perfectly smooth sides. I thought it may have been a pipe that rusted away. But now I've discovered another. It was below a large paver and 1 and 1/4" in diameter--again perfectly smooth and round. There was a bit of mud dried mud at the edges and a small (2") shallow cavity beside the hole. Could this be a frog? I don't have moles or voles. Weird.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bit outside my regular haunts, although two inches is AWFUL big for frogs... :shock:

I'd contact your local extension service (usually at your state university); they'll have a much better idea than I...

Scott

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Schism,

I agree with Scott that contacting your local extension service might be your best option. I do know that there are some type of crab in your area that could be the culprit. Take a look here for your extension service.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/nav/extension/extension.asp

Do let us know if you find out what it is.
Newt

schism
Newly Registered

Hi Scott and Newt,

Thanks for the advice. LSU Ag has been helpful with ID of termites....those dreaded formosans. (Here, it's not a matter of IF you have them it's WHEN you'll get them) I'll give see if they have any ideas. Not worried, just curious.

Sandy

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've heard that's a big issue for your area; knock on wood they don't make it here...

Invasive species strike again :evil:

Scott

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sandy, you made me curious so I put 'formosan termite' in the search box at www.google.com and found this site.

https://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

Good luck,
Newt

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”