bg
Cool Member

Today's Mail...

I ordered a Camellia sinensis last week to ship and arrive this week, on ebay. This is my first plant purchase from ebay, and it arrived just a little bit ago and thought I would share! <-- excited

It came with a few instructions to have it potted immediately and keep in the shade for a few days before giving it direct sunlight. So I'm keeping it inside near my back door (french doors) that with blinds inside the glass, so this should keep it safe.

I can't wait for it to grow lol. Here's a couple of photos:

After unpacking:
https://www.zooomr.com/photos/kouetsuji/9824890/

After potting:
https://www.zooomr.com/photos/kouetsuji/9824889/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Very nice! :D

I think, though, that when you move it outdoors, you should put it in shade at first. Move it every couple of days, until it's getting full sun all the time. The reason I suggest this is that full sun coming through a window is much weaker than full sun outdoors, so keeping your little plant in bright indirect light, as you are, is even weaker than full sun through a window. The leaves will get sunburned if the plant isn't acclimated slowly to full outdoor sun. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

bg
Cool Member

Thanks, I'll do that. I had been talking about wanting one of these for a while, now I have it. Of course I want to make sure it survives, I definitely want to try making some tea with it later on when it's ready for that. ;3

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I would suggest placing it where it gets afternoon shade. Camellia leaves caannot tolerate the full sun in Texas without suffering some damage. I place mine where they get shade starting around 11am-12pm during the summer time. Camellia Sasanquas can be exposed to more sun than Sinensis but I still would not put them in full sun during the hot Texas Summer Months. Full sun during the early Spring Months is ok.

Camellias like morning sun and afternoon shade. You should keep the soil as constantly moist as possible. Mulch it well so you do not have to water often and place them in locations where drying winter/summer winds will not be a problem. They like acidic and well draining soil so be prepared to amend the soil when it turns alkaline. A soil pH Kit might be a good investment. Use Soil/Garden Sulphur, green sand, iron chelated liquid compounds, etc to acidify the soil. When they get older, propagate them so you can enjoy more of your tea!

bg
Cool Member

So far everything has been great! I've been watching it grow new leaves, seeing how they transform from small shoots to full size leaves, as well as their colour change.

I kept the plant in shade for about a week, and decided to place it in my front yard. There are less ants to bother it, it gets full morning sun and shade for the rest of the day. I am thinking it is about time to up pot it though.

As for the sale on ebay, it was a breeze. The seller had good communication, wanted to make sure that the plant arrived in great condition as well as gave a couple tips. The plant came with some basic care instructions on making sure the plant survived after the shipping process. etc. For me, looking around the price was about the best I could get for a plant.

So really, I'm just waiting for it to grow into a good size that I can then start harvesting some leaves x3 That and see if I can make some cuttings and grow a few more. Anyhow, here are a couple updated pics:

https://www.zooomr.com/photos/kouetsuji/9874038/
https://www.zooomr.com/photos/kouetsuji/9874036/

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”