Susan W
Greener Thumb

Farmers Market!

I am feeling like the kid. Got a call that I am accepted into the Farmers Market (had applied to).
A bit of background, they have been wanting me. Have a long application, and did get it sent in with extra stuff etc. This one is Sat AM, April 30-Oct. It is good that they wanted info on growing practices, acerage, weed and bug control etc etc, and directions to farm. That is all good, but with my set-up tried not to get snarky. Directions to farm? (street address with corner), space? back drive, weed control? pull them out etc etc. They do want earth friendly packaging when possible.
This one is close to me, gaining support. I think it will be a fun one as the neighborhood is good and supporting, and I know some of them. It is in a church parking lot. This is First Congregational, affectionally known even by them as First Congo. All stripes, open.
Fees are $28/saturday. A bit high but perhaps going rate. My sales will depend on what I can deliver. No brainer there, but sometimes my available stuff not overwhelming.

Wasn't there something mentioned about a Farmers Market/Marketing heading?.....?....!!!!!!
Have fun!
Susan

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! What will you be offering?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for encouraging words!
Produce? all herbs, and full season should have about 15 varieties. I am planning to go on opening wkd, April 30 and will be limited (as will be other vendors). But those 1st couple of wkds could be bonanzas as people are really hungry for...Fresh!

I think last season was there 1st one, and they hit the ground running. Of course they were working things out as they went (trial and error), and I am glad to see they have good standards. The organizes are more than happy to help with set-up and marketing suggestions. For example how to keep basil looking pretty when it is 90 in the shade!

I have tables, baskets etc from my 18th c events. A bigger 1 time expense will be the pop-up awning (about $100 at the box stores). And a plus, I hope for me, is with the 18th c display have no plastic, aluminum etc showing. Visually have wood, fabric, baskets, pottery etc used as displayers, and burlap table cover.
Have fun!
Susan

starwood

I hope you're getting an EZup. They are the highest quality pop up cover.

Good luck with your new venture.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update on this and other metro markets. This one was working to get a Food Stamp thing worked out. Say you come in, swipe your card for $10 at the main booth, get $10 in chitz, wooden nickels, something. Markets around the country are working this out.

Well, the area growers got a grant to DOUBLE the stamps. I am thinking if you come in and swipe for $10, you get $20 to spend there, with local farmers. One of the big factors in this was markets in what we call Food Deserts. (essentially low income, no groceries).
Win-Win? help low income people, help local growers (also can be low income!!).
Have fun!
Susan

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We honor this program at our local Farmers Market. :D

https://nutrition.wsu.edu/markets/sfmnp.html

Eric

Susan W
Greener Thumb

More legal stuff on farmers market folks, FWIW
This varies state, county etc, so check your own regs.

Called sales tax. We (TN) have sales tax on food, and never had seen it added at the market. IF you grow it and sell it, not taxed. Buy it and sell, taxed. So, I go to Krogers, buy basil, pay sales tax. I am growing and selling to you the customer, no tax.

Business license. For here over 3,000 yr. I'm borderline. BUT, have assumed name, should get the bus license. I am going on a name, which puts me over that border. I have one with the yarn business. This tax costs about $50/yr. Having a 2nd business not a great financial burden.

Again, check your local regs. Everyone I have talked to has been more than helpful.

Hope this helps!
Susan
Have fun!
Susan

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So, I go to Krogers, buy basil, pay sales tax. I am growing and selling to you the customer, no tax.
This seems backward, end user usually pays the tax. I have a business license UBI and Sellers permit. Buy whole sale and no tax. Sell retail with tax.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

That is alot of money to set up. Are there any big flea markets in your area. I like flea markets better since you can sell other things. i plan on selling every sunday this summer. i sell plants carpet, bobbers and will include produce this year! Iuse to have a indoor flea market and auction about 15 years ago! Some product places will give you deals on boxes of peppers and even berries. make some contacts and get a product thet will pay the $28 fee. Can you sell bake goods? I know a lady that sells poppy seed and nut rolls and has a great business going! She sells out every week!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”