Susan W
Greener Thumb

Urban Farms forum

We have an urban farms forum next week that I saw mentioned in the paper. Issues will be farm to table, wholesale, restaurant, growing, farmers markets (with representatives of all), legal (ag person) etc etc. This isn't How to grow your basil and tomatoes, but how to market and legal stuff, and connections.
I should not even mention, except I am so excited as this is what some of us need going into the season.
BTW, trying to hit the stride with the herb market this season.

Did I say I am excited before the forum, hope have connects, info, etc etc by end of day.
BTW, anyone in the Mid-South, this is looking good (Memphis area)

Hope to be brimming with stuff Feb7-8!
Susan-the ever optimist-

applestar
Mod

First time you posted, and this bump when marlin replied, I thought somebody wanted a new forum category on HGGF!! :lol:

I'll be looking forward to your followup posts as well. I can think of quite a few members that would be eager to hear back from you. THIS is the time to make all those plans right? I have a friend with a lavender farm who has been cooking up new ideas for the coming season too. 8)

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Ohio St. U. hosts lots of great forums but they are usually someplace too far to travel or on a day I cannot attend. I've written them suggesting they film the event then make it available on-line.

OH is doing a study now about using unused or underused urban land for CSA. One test is trenching parking lots, filling with soil/compost/manure and turning it into basically a raised bed.

If one thinks of all the unused factories and empty parking lots there are thousands of acres in the state that could provide food. Would it cost a bit more to grow? Initially, no doubt. But there would be next to nothing in transportation costs.

With some "outside the box" thinking, buildings could be used year-round to grow veggies.

Another seminar I would have liked to attend was one on extending the growing season using hoop houses and row covers. Imagine being able to sell vine-ripened tomatoes in June! Not just a few, but bushels of them. Take an early-season variety such as Early Girl (not my favorite but most people know them!) and get it in the ground in early-April rather than mid-May.

Mike

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Oh My! A day of mixing with other gardeners and farmers market folk! Talking, listening, sharing!

Now, for me, looks like I picked up a restaurant to sell herbs to. Close to me at that! I talked to several Farmers Market folk. I can only handle one with amounts, and think that decision has been made.

As for regulations etc, that changes by state and even county. I did try to find out about sales tax, and looks like exempt from collecting. I need to call the state office to get details.

A fellow from weights/measures was there. As I live so close to where the meeting was, went home and got my little digital 'postal' scale. I mainly use it for weighing yarn. He tested it and it passed. For $15 got the official sticker and certification!

One thing in the air was optimism and seeing the eating/buying habits of people changing to more local. Also with this movement, and more farmers markets, the logistics and regulations are trying to play catch-up. For example health and ag depts. One idea that came up was to have some sort of branding for local grown. This could go on your produce, and be sold to restaurants and grocers.

Hope this makes sense! As I am in a metro area, have enough people from all sides to participate (some growers coming in from out-of-town).

Back to checking on my basil and chives!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

MG, we were finding out there are overlapping agencies to deal with. Some participants (growers and market reps) already OK, but always learning. Looks like agencies are trying to figure ways to work with this situation (perhaps by next generation?!)

We are regulated by health dept and ag dept, and as farmers markets (direct selling produce to customer) is new rapidly growing, agencies are even confused. A fellow from health dept talked to us, and his thing is to work with us, and refer to another agency when appropriate. Clear so far?!*&!!
Selling herbs, tomatoes, beans is different from herb or bean starts.
You cannot sample, say cut open a melon and have bits for tastes. (could vary by state)
If selling by weight need certified scale. (we know many just use a regular kitchen scale, so turn a blind eye). I was just curious about my scale so had it tested, and for $15 got the sticker. Why not! I will sell by bunch for the most part. But I do have scale if needed.
If you are preparing anything (bread, jellies, etc) need certified kitchen, which is a general rule. Home kitchens can be certified for small quantities, especially if not preparing meat or dairy.
Eggs fall under another category, and regs are different for small or major quantities.
If you are selling at a market, check regs for keeping stuff off the ground. A hard case, such as a cooler for extra stuff can be on the ground. Soft containers need up by 6". To me that is some common sense, and needs to be remembered when setting up a booth. A shelter is required here, at least a pop-up awning type thing.

I presume you have a recognized business and bus license. As for sales tax, I left confused, and need to check. On my yarn business I pay sales tax on that sold within TN, exempt out-of-state and wholesale orders. Others at the seminar said you don't pay sales tax if your grow it and sell direct.Of course selling to a restaurant is wholesale so exempt from tax. Prepared items (jams, breads, soaps) would be taxed. I did just look at my state sales tax return and did not see an exemption spot for produce.

Still following?!*@!!

Another subject that came up is taking food stamps (EBT card). This would be the market, not the vendor. This is especially important for a couple of markets open/opening in lower end neighborhoods, the ones called food desserts. Markets elsewhere have worked out systems to take a card, and charge say $10-20 and give recipient wooden 'nickles'. These are spent at the vendors, end of day those chips turned in, and market pays out cash or cuts checks.

If you sell to restaurants need to have some business system. I am the first to admit I did casual sales last year to the one restaurant. I did write out amounts and date on a piece of paper, and paid cash each delivery (about $10). The owner good with it, at least temporarily. Now I need to find out if I roll the herb side in with Silver Shuttle the yarn side, or need separate license etc. Last year small, trial and error, lots of both. Now need to look at business side with sales/expenses etc. For now may just have ticket book and use my name (Susan Wallace), not my proposed herb side Mid-Town Herbs. When I talked with the chef at the restaurant I hope to be adding, told him my situation (had been casual, now changing up). I will work with the accountant to be paid per delivery, every month, or whatever works best for that business. The accountant may want to cut one check rather than 4 per month.

What was good at this seminar is everyone, including the agencies, trying to learn and do the right thing. Not bucking the system or complaining about 'silly' rules. Doing the right thing is so simple, and we do most by common sense anyway.

Hope this helps, and at least gives you clues as to what to ask about, and know you will be dealing with several agencies (ag, health, tax etc).

Keep it green! Keep it growing!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”