bburrito
Newly Registered

Can I garden in sandy soil?

I just moved into a place with a large area of dirt behind it that is erosion from the short cliff above. Needless to say it is very sandy soil. There are currently some small trees planted up there and the whole area is covered with ice plant. How would I go about setting up this area to grow some veggies and fruit trees? Would I have to dig up the sand and replace with soil and compost?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can probably amend the sandy soil by adding finished compost and composted manure. You might need to add something like peat moss, to increase the acidity of the soil, as well. I think you should have a soil test done before you start adding any amendments. That way, you will know exactly what amendments are needed, and how much of each material to add. Your nearest Extension Service office (phone number should be in the white pages under County listings) may be able to provide the soil test, or at least, refer you to someone who can do the tests for you.

First of all, though, I would recommend that you do something to stop the erosion. Otherwise, the sand will continue to wash down into your garden, which could defeat all your efforts at improving the soil. Since I don't know what the area actually looks like, I can't really make any suggestions about what might work best to stop the erosion. It might require a retaining wall, or you might be able just to plant a ground cover that has the type of root system that will stabilize the slope. Your options will depend, I think, on the steepness of the slope, and possibly other elements.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

After seeing to erosion, you might consider box gardens for the vegetables, by-pacing the effects of the sandy soil conditions. As for fruit trees, how deep does the sandy soil go, if it is very shallow then it might not effect the trees too much, as most of their roots will be below the sandy area. The next question, then is what kind of soil is under it. If you test the ph and it is too acidic then add lime. If it is too alkaline you can also add sulfur. If you are in the US your local extension should be able to give to estimates of how much of either to add.

Free Zucchini

Yes.

It may take some time to build the 'soil' up. Anything from 'idiot bags'; the paper bags of leaves that get discarded by ignorant gardeners to shredder paper, wood chips, etc.

Read this article on 'extreme composting'.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/05/dav ... al-garden/

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Once the bank is stable you might look at the concept of strip mulching also called lasagna gardening (concepts from permaculture). You can simply mound the stuff up in layers asap and let it compost until spring. At that point you can plant in it, everything except things like tomatoes will to well in it. The tomatoes etc need it to compost an other year to get enough food. If you can get your hands on it you can lay 6-8" high 3' wide rows of mushroom compost and plant in it, that will work very well, then add 1" compost to it from then on.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Good info all 'round, but I doubt the OP is listening since the post is 4 years old.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”