russiamommy

west nile virus prevention

I am very concerned about west nile virus. What products/brands do you recommend and where should I go to purchase them?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Russia Mommy,

The best advice I can give is to use an insect repellent. You should find this site interesting.

https://www.organicstyle.com/feature/0,8028,s1-41-30-34-414,00.html

Another option would be to search at www.google.com using terms that include your state if you like. Here's an example of how to search using my state.

west nile virus + organic + Maryland

Newt

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Newt.

As someone who grew up in Old Lyme, CT and spent LOTS of time in the woods of Lyme, I just can't get worked up about insect borne diseases. With all the interdiction work from state and federal authorities the odds of contracting WNV are about the same as hitting the lottery. The press knows if they scare you you will watch the whole bit, so they like to scare you; it's good for bizness. Don't buy in...

Scott

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Scott,

I agree. I don't get spazed about WNV. When they sprayed our neighborhood I was a bit put off by it.

Newt

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There it is. Far more scared of the spray than the disease :x

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

From my experience in dealing with pathogenic organisms, poisons should be a last resort. Spraying poisons around in an attempt to kill the vectors of a disease invariably breeds and selects for resistance which, makes the problem that much worse in the long run.
Anyway, the best way to avoid getting WNV is to not have any stale standing bodies of water (ie. puddles, plates with stale water and so on.) around your yard that will attract mosquitos. Also, you can leave out fresh water in little plates for beneficial insects to drink that will eat mosquitos. But, you must keep this water fresh because once it turns stale..... Here come the mosquitos!!!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”