BelVon
Newly Registered

Could anyone help me identify this mystery plant?

I never had planted, nor have interest in dyi planting. I love seeing plants though. Anyhow, my co-worker left for vacation for 3 weeks, and she left me with this flower/plant that sits inside a glass vase. She told me to soak it with water for three hours every three days. I was skeptical with the procedure because I never heard of soaking a plant for 3 hours.

Ok so I did what she told me. I filled the glass with water and soak the plant for 3 hours, then dumped it and left it waterless for three days, then I repeat the process. Is that how it's suppose to be? After a week I notice the tip of the leaves are browning--seems like it is drying up. Am I doing it wrong? I couldn't contact my co-worker, I don't even ntknow the name of the flower, so I can google how to take care of it properly.

Please give me a plant name if you recognize this flower and the proper care for it. Thank you in advance.
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/azvel/toys/photo.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes. The genus is Tillandsia ... there are several species and hybrids. They are members of the Bromeliad family. The common name is Air Plant.

You are watering it correctly, I believe, but the plants need air circulation, too. I've always heard that they needed to be dried off after being soaked. After the water is poured out of the container, the excess can be very gently shaken off, then the plant returned to the container. Distilled water isn't good for them (not enough minerals), nor is artificially softened water (too much salt). Ordinary tap water is best.

Staying too damp too long can cause the browning seen in your pic. Those leaves can be removed without harm to the plant. :)

BelVon
Newly Registered

Hey Kisal, nice to meet you.

Thank you for a very helpful advice. I will make sure that I dry it out completely after soaking. It might be the little moisture left that made the leaves brown. I can't wait to see the plant on Monday. Hope it didn't brown too much. Thanks again!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”