Cerbiesmom

Plant ID please

I left my paper telling me what I planted where outside and it rained. I've figured everything else but this plant out. There are 3 of them. They're about 3-5" tall, and now have tiny flower buds starting. I believe this group of seeds I started were only herbs and greens. I just have no clue what these guys are. Any help is greatly appreciated.
[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/cerbiesmom/plant2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/cerbiesmom/plant.jpg[/img]

Cerbiesmom

Wow, nothing? LOL. Not even an "it looks kinda like..." I'm gonna have to go through all my seed packets, and hopefully those werent' the last of a packet. Otherwise the packet is gone forever, lol.

microcollie
Green Thumb

OK, I'll jump in, but it's only with more questions. I can't enlarge the picture, so some of the details aren't very clear. The stem looks fuzzy...is this true? Are the buds in a cluster or single? Leaf texture? Any smell when you rub a leaf? (if it's an herb, there might be)

Cerbiesmom

Hey, questions are welcome. I've just been looking at it scratching my head.

The edges of the leaves have small points all along them, the stem is not fuzzy.

I currently see one bud in the middle of each plant.

I have not done a rub/smell test, I'll have to when I get home.

Thanks for trying. I'll try to get some closer pictures tomorrow. Unfortunately, I only have a cell phone camera.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Do you remember planting any sorrel? I can't see the plant well enough to rule sorrel in or out, but the shape of the leaf is generally reminiscent of what's growing in my garden.

The "Legend of the Doughty French Sorrel" can be found at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150135

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are we looking at Culantro again? I wish the photos were larger.

Another guess, Arugula.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Does it look at all like [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125266&highlight=cauliflower#125266]my cauliflowers[/url]?

Cerbiesmom

Thanks for helping, guys!

Doubledog, your suggestion of arugula helped me figure out another plant that I was clueless about. I thought it was a weird mustard, but after looking at pics, it looks to be an arugula.

Apple, I know I didn't plant cauliflowers. I don't like them. :oops:

Cynthia, I did have seeds for sheep sorrel, but it doesn't seem to match what I found when searching online. I have a french sorrel I bought as a plant, and it's definitely not that.

The plant isn't a rosette, it's leaves circling up a stem. It's growing like my kale is, but it's not kale.

This is my medicinal herb list that I bought off amazon.
Echinacea, Milk Thistle, Baikal Scullcap, Yarrow, German Chamomile, St. Johnswort
Burdock, Fever Few, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Cayenne, Astragalus

And I did a rub smell test, and I didn't get a smell from it.
Why did i leave my paper out?!

Odd Duck

I can tell you it's definitely NOT yarrow, chamomile or lemon balm. The rest I haven't grown, so can't say. I don't have any other particular thoughts except to confirm what you already knew about it not being sorrel.
Sharon
USDA zone 7b/8a (depending on the year and microclimate :-)), AHS heat zone 8-9, Eastern Crosstimbers/Grand Prairie ecozones

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I can add, it's not Feverfew

Eric

Cerbiesmom

I also know it's not astragalus or milk thistle or burdock, bc all of those have sprouted and i remember where I put those.

I did plant brocoli raab, could it be that? Never had that before, and I'm clueless what the plants look like.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't see enough detail in your pics to attempt an ID, but here is a pic of some broccoli raab seedlings that appear to be close in age to your seedling, although I can't be positive.

[img]https://farm1.static.flickr.com/68/181341045_ff61b4a9ed.jpg[/img]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Odd Duck

Raab always has those little "notches" or lobes towards the base of the leaves like other brassicals often do. I see them in your photo, but not in the OP's photo.
Sharon
USDA zone 7b/8a (depending on the year and microclimate :-)), AHS heat zone 8-9, Eastern Crosstimbers/Grand Prairie ecozones

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”