Halfway
Green Thumb

Seed catalogs trickling in!!!

It's that time of year, woooot!!!!

Parks, Pinetree so far.

Jungs, HPS, Totally Tomatoes and other are on the way.
Zone 4a.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Reporting in,

Seeds of Change and Peaceful Valley

Eric

Halfway
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Reporting in,

Seeds of Change and Peaceful Valley

Eric

Ohhh, 2 new ones. Heading to sign up for their catalogs now!

High mowing was another I was made aware of.
Last edited by Halfway on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 4a.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I'm not getting any :( ... perhaps thats a good thing though LOL
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's a little early. The first of the year they will come flooding in. :D

Eric

Canadian Farmer Guy

Waiting for Stokes, Johnny's Selected Seeds, and William Dam Seeds.
(Dam seeds... priceless)

CFG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

In todays mail.

Botanical Interest and Nichols Garden Nursery

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

So far I've gotten Baker's Creek, Territorial, Botanical Interests, and Rupp (which is a new one and I'm not too impressed).
I think between the catalogs and the weather someone is trying to torture me. I'm in WI and it's 46 degrees!! It's crazy.
But I am super excited Botanical Interests has a paper pot maker!!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This week,

Territorial Seed Company
and
Burnt Ridge Nursery and Orchards

Eric

applestar
Mod

Hey I did say the snowplow buried the mailbox and the mail courier refused tp deliver. But we had something more of an avalanche than a trickle of seed catalogs.

I don't see mentioned here RH Schumway. I have to be in the right mood to peruse this catalog because it's all hand-drawn illustrations and font reminiscent of Old West wanted posters, but they have some unusual varieties and carries most of the useful seed starting tools.

If you haven't got one from Gardens Alive, they have the usual organic seeds listed in the new 2011 catalog that at least last year, they didn't put up on their website, and it's crammed full of color photos and descriptions of insects -- good and bad - as well as plant diseases and nutritional deficiencies. Good resource even if you don't buy from them.

Plant nurseries are sending their catalogs as are gardening tools and equipment vendors. I have the one from Maine Potato Lady too. Plenty to curl up on the couch with. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was feeling deprived, because I hadn't gotten any, then four came today:

Jung, Burpee, Shumway, and Seeds of Change. I will spend New Year's Day perusing seed catalogs! :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Got my seed order all ready to go in the mail!! 28 different kinds of seeds, for $50 (shopping the sales). Flowers, veggies, and herbs. I have about that many more kinds of seeds saved.

Won't be long now before there are seeds under lights!! :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Halfway
Green Thumb

I got Jung and Vermont over the past few days. I think that is about it. I think I have all of them dog-eared, hehehe.
Zone 4a.

applestar
Mod

Cooks Garden catalog came in and, once again, I'm :roll: my eyes.
They list interesting varieties, but this catalog is obviously not meant for a Gardener.

No days to maturity, no curcurbit species differentiation! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just bunch of pretty photos, and BTW same three tomatoes mentioned on about 6 different pages! :roll:

...another thing, have you noticed that seed and nursery companies must all attend the same conference or something? Every year, there's a HOT new introduction that they all carry. One of those this year appears to be the 'Pink Lemonade' blueberry.... I once got lured into buying a hot intro seed/plant, and I don't think I'll do that again. I'll wait until the end of the season and read what everyone who planted them thought. It's kind of like avoiding version x.0 of a new OS. :wink:

Halfway
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:...another thing, have you noticed that seed and nursery companies must all attend the same conference or something? Every year, there's a HOT new introduction that they all carry. One of those this year appears to be the 'Pink Lemonade' blueberry....
I have noticed this as well. Very annoying. Horticulture supply has been a pretty decent catalog, but it is for bulk orders and wholesale level sales.
Zone 4a.

Orenda
Newly Registered

Being VERY new to gardening (planning my first veggie garden) I headed off to the Library for some books, and was thrilled to find two seed catologues in their 'Free Bin' these were Seeds of Change and RH Shumway. Now I want more :twisted:

Orenda

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seeds of Change is a very nice group. They do all organic seeds; they see themselves as having a mission to preserve biodiversity by keeping growing a lot of heirloom and open-pollinated varieties. From their website:

OUR MISSION
At Seeds of Change, we believe that being part of cultivating change feels good. For over 20 years, Seeds of Change has been committed to preserving biodiversity and promoting the use of sustainable organic agricultural practices. To demonstrate our commitment, we contribute 1% of our net sales toward sustainable organic farming initiatives worldwide.

They have lots of interesting things in their catalogs that you won't find else where.

That said, it does feel to me like they are more oriented towards organic farming and serious gardeners than to the back yard hobbyist.

They offer lots of packets of 500 seeds for like $3.79. In many cases you can find the same seed variety some where like Jung's as a packet of 50 seeds for $1.50. Obviously if you have a use for 500 seeds SfC is a much better value. But if you don't and you don't want to commit to storing seeds for 10 years, it is cheaper to buy somewhere else, at least for common varieties that everyone carries. I started preparing a seed order for SfC, but it was adding up to way too much $$ for me. I have a small yard and I grow small quantities of many different things....

I ended up ordering from Jungs and got 28 different kinds of seeds for $50. I have ordered from them before and they are very reliable.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I just received Thompsen and Morgan. Nice layout and informative.

Anyone have any experience with them?
Zone 4a.

applestar
Mod

I haven't bought from them in a while. I love their catalog for the British/European-oriented selection. However, I kind of came to the (what may be unbased -- this is my impression only) conclusion that what they offer would be better suited to the Pacific Northwest gardeners and other areas where they have similar climates -- folks with somewhat cooler summers but longer growing seasons as compared to my garden.

A lot of their offerings are also suited to greenhouse gardeners. Some very interesting tropical plant seeds.

Last year and this time around, I was looking particularly at fava beans and runner beans.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Metzer Farms.

Not a seed catalog, but a duckling catalog. Looks like 12 to 24 new Golden 300 Hybrid egg laying ducks this year. :D

Eric

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”