rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Plans for next year!

Now that this year is winding down for all us northerners, I'm sure we are all thinking about next year and what to do differently/ more etc.

For me: I'm about to go get bins to make worm bins to do worm composting through the winter (for the first time!). In the early spring along with the lettuce, spinach, chard, onions, garlic, broccoli and cabbage, I will plant peas to grow up the tomato cages, on the theory that they will be done and gone before they do any serious shading of the tomatoes.

I'm thinking about cutting down a dying tree in my front yard to make a sunny space to expand the veggie garden into the front.

Scatter more herbs through the garden instead of keeping them segregated in the herb garden (I already do some of that, but MORE).

Give up on planting zucchini anywhere but flowerbeds and try more butternut / delicata squashes, see if they will resist the SVB's better.

Quit growing early girl tomatoes and try a cherry tomato instead (along with the beefsteak and ultimate opener). Do NOT get seduced by all you eager beavers into planting tomato seeds any earlier than Valentines day!

Start the seeds for fall garden in potting soil/ pots, so that I can baby them a bit more and get some good starts for the fall garden. Have seeds of spinach and lettuce on hand to plant in the hummingbird/ butterfly garden when it is cut down.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of off hand....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Now that this year is winding down for all us northerners, I'm sure we are all thinking about next year and what to do differently/ more etc.
Here we are November 16th already. January is not that far off. So much to do and so little time. Decisions, decisions. :?

I would like to have two (2) 10ft x 20ft greenhouses along my north fence, by spring. I have the frames of two portable carports, that will be converted to greenhouses. I also have a couple of 20ft logs, I need to get over to my brother's bandsaw mill. These logs will make the 1 x 4s I need, to help with framing and applying greenhouse skin.

Growing more crops influenced by my Farmer's Market customers. Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Beets, Broccoli, Bright Lights chard, Kale, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Peppers, Peas, Beans, Winter squash, Strawberries, Duck eggs. Growing less, Tomatillos, Eggplant, Collards, Summer squash,

Starting my Peppers and Tomatoes early. Maybe as early as the first week of January. I would like a larger presentation at the market this coming year.

I potted up 50 strawberry hanging basket and will be doing another 50. These will be sold, hopefully with fruit, next year.

Keeping all raised beds in production, earlier and later. Taking advantage of floating row covers. Weld up more low tunnels. Final transition to No till gardening. Keeping all beds covered with mulch.

Raise more muscovy ducks

Watch the sun and shadow patterns over my garden. I too have a few trees I'd like to remove, but will it really help?

Who's next
Eric

Sharon Marie

My plans seem very small versus the above posts, but I thought I would reply anyhow. I am going to finish off a 5 X 5 area in the back of my yard that I started before my surgery but let it get "weeded over" during the summer when I was indoors. I am going to really weed it, plant some nice bulbs, lay some mulch, and enjoy the outcome when summer arrives. :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I fear I may be so busy building and remolding that my wife will have to do any gardening. I will do some road building although. I would rather work in the garden and the land than any thing all though.

I plan to plant a winter crop of clover and till it in in the spring. I am thinking of solorizing the garden next summer. In the spring just the mowing can keep me busy.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”