SWMOgardens
Cool Member

Worst moment of 2010

I had a new roof put on my home. Talk about making a mess of my garden. They tore off the old wood shake and put on a new comp roof. Even though they were respectful of my garden, I still had a lot of smushed plants and I probably will find debris for years. How about you, what was your worst moment of 2010?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Mine was just yesterday when the Santa Ana winds rolled through. When I woke up it was still incredibly windy and when I went outside all my potted plants were scattered all over the yard. I had to go collect all of my pots and plants (since most the plants were out of their pots) And move all of them inside. I felt like crying, My poor babies!. The winds were so bad that we were having power outtages, heavy trash can lids were flying off, trees were being up rooted and falling, and I even had to "search" for one of my plants that had fallen out of its pot because I couldn't find it (eventually I found it) This morning I woke up to all my plants inside still and my back and front yard just covered in trash and leaves. *sigh* its going to take a while getting things back to the way they were.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not garden related.

My mother died July 20th

Eric

shadowsmom

My condolences DoubleDogFarm. Kind of puts everything in perspective.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hey everyone,

I didn't mean to derail this topic.

Worst gardening moment 2010.

I left the vegetable garden gate open and left to do some mowing. When I returned, I found my ducks in the garden, having a good ol time. They ate all my peas to the ground, and several young kale, chard, collards, and brussels sprouts starts.

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD I remember the day you posted about that. Everyone was proud of you for not drop kicking any ducks :lol:
I had a decent year in the garden with 2 exceptions. There is still a ton of cement in my garden (but hey the plants grow around it just fine right?) And I was totally unsuccessful with beets. I have no idea why but they hate me and refuse to grow :(

ozark_rocks

My worst day was April 29, when a tornado hit our town. Even though it messed up my garden , took off my porch , part of our new roof and ruined most of our trees, I still feel blessed. :cry: One of my neighbors was killed, and it totaly destroyed 8 homes, plus the community center.I have to say again..I feel blessed.

lorax
Greener Thumb

The June 20th reactivation of the volcano came with a big bang, dropped 1/4" of ash on everything, and heralded the worst hailstorm seen in the area for about 50 years. I lost half of my tomatoes, all of my bush beans, all of my seed starts drowned, and I was really lucky that the bananas were still in movable (if heavy) pots - they went in the house at the first sign of hail and so they escaped severe damage. My poor Dieffebachia is still recovering, and my plums are all so deformed that I can't sell them at market. (but still tasty).

We had chunks the size of golf balls coming down at the peak of it.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”