Chaesman

Boy do I have the fever and now my wife has got it bad to!!!

Well last night we where looking over the seeds we have recieved from the generousity of the members of this forum and the seeds we have picked up here and there as possible.

My wife and I prefer vegtables over meat products when possible. And the prospect of varities of vegtables that are not readily available here and the common ones to got us both itching for planting time.

Today I asked my wife so I can do a little work before the ground freezes where exactly it would be ok to put the garden (So I am not redoing the work again) She said on the front side of the yard that no one uses or plays in. Well I am looking and thinking and had to ask what part of the yard. She responded the whole area.. This area is almost 1/2 acer. So now my mind is going little tiller big area.

Well I do computer work for a local farmer and I am sincerly hoping he will come over and disc this area under then come back and rip and hip it for me in exchange for some pc work.

I guess my wife wants to feed the whole family.. We have 7 kids living locally and 18 or so grandkids and greatgrand kids in the area.

Any how is it possible to successfully grow a pepper plant or two and a tomatoe plant or two indoors over winter and have them produce? Like I said we have the fever lol...

Chaesman

No GreenHouse yet :( But it is in the plans for spring although depending on how harsh or mild the winter is I may have my son put one up over the winter if our budget allows. :!:

Got it small herbs Sunny window just no big plants in the house LOL

Thanks again for the information.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Chaesman, I went back and read a couple previous posts about your gardening plans. You mentioned in one of your first posts that you haven't gardened in 25 yrs. and your plot then was only a 10x10 ft. area, or 100 sq. ft.

In this post, your plans are for a half acre garden which is close to 21,500 sq. ft. That is quite a jump in ambition. Sounds to me like you are biting a lot more than you can chew if it has been that long since your last foray into gardening. A plot that size will require a good deal of work, not just in preparation, but in maintenance. And from the info I gather, you don't really have a lot of equipment to do the work required. Heck, even a quarter acre of approximately 100'x100' will give you just over 10.000 sq. ft. and that is something I'd consider huge by home garden standards. If I recall correctly, Jal-Ut has something like 7,500 sq. ft. of garden and he owns a good deal of farming equipment with a tractor and attachments being one of the main things at his disposal.

I'd just hate to see you get overwhelmed by your planned undertaking right out the gate and lose your ambition to garden.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but from what I'm seeing, you are biting off a lot of work.

Chaesman

yes Gumbo it does sound like a lot of hard work, and a lot of effort and care and I do understand your concerns about biting off more than I can chew. But we recalculated the area I was refering too and it is accually just about 1/4 an acre not 1/2 I was just guessing but messurements prove otherwise. On the Plus Side a Local Farmer that I do PC work for I just called and he is going to bring his tractor over saturday and help get the initial breaking up and discing underdone in exchange for some virus removal work on his pc and his daughters..Then he will be back around planting time to make my rows of mounds for me..

as far as the other work when I first became disabled my wife and I would pick up seasonal work weeding fields for a farmer the next town over so weeding for hours on end is not a big issue especially when I get to pick the time of day do to ample lighting

Chaesman

Opps let me correct myself again. Reduced area to bring in new water hook up for irrigation and reduced all sides to allow access for pickup and tractor from all sides. final Definate size a little over 5200 sq/ft or 1/8 th of an acer. this should be more managable I hope Roughly 68 x 80 ft

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's a huge difference from a half acre and much more manageable. Even with that size, you could very easily get 15 rows 80 ft. long and that will hold much more produce than you and your entire family can eat if all goes well.

With the space you have, you can give yourself lots of room between rows to make it easy to work in the garden. I find my garden is easier to work in once it is established and proper steps have been taken to keep weeds down with layering and mulching. It is still a good bit of work to get there though, but will come with time and patience.

Man, I'd love to be able to have a plot that size. All I have to do is get the 20 yr. old to finish college and get herself a good paying job, sell this house in the city and move to my little slice of "Green Acres".

Oh, and isn't bartering a great thing. I've been doing that for years with friends of varying trades. My skills for their skills with little to no money exchanged except for materials.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is about the size of what I have now and yes it is a lot of work, you have to do a little every day. You may want to think about what kind of watering system you want to use. If you can use valves it make life easier. If all the tilling is done for you then you can keep it up with just hand tools. I got a lot of food from mine. Oh get a canning set up. Good luck.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”