BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Fear Of Posting Pictures?

I've noticed quite frequently on the forum that new members tend to shy away from posting photos. I'm not sure if it is an actual fear of posting photos ... if its just that they don't have a camera... or perhaps just that they don't want to make the effort to post one but a lot of topics simply end with someone who has more experience telling the new member that they should post a pic and then linking the pic information link. In turn a lot of the time the new member never responds back or just never ends up posting a picture. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about this. Perhaps a way to add photos with just a click of a button.. or some way that doesn't require new members to become overwhelmed with the idea of getting a picture on here but rather focus instead on their exact problem at hand.

Oh wouldn't it be absolutely wonderful if we could just imagine a picture in our mind and have it appear on the screen infront of us?? :lol:

But basically what I am saying is that overall it saddens me to see a member turned off of the forum just because they have to post a photo and for one reason or another "can't". Would love to hear others thoughts on this matter. :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's difficult to know why a member stops posting on the forum. Their reasons don't necessarily have to be related to the subject of the last post they made. JMO.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I have tried to post photos with no success.
Maybe it's my computer, the programs on the computer, the satellite service that comes and goes, but probably the operator.
Someday I'll succeed.

Speaking as a new member, it seems (as would be logical) that there are circles of friends here who have been here a while and so write each other a lot.

I read a lot and post very little, but would love to share photos.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you uploaded your photos to an image hosting site, such as Photobucket? After your pic is uploaded there, all you have to do is copy the [IMG] link shown at the lower left side of the Photobucket screen. Then come here and paste that link into your post.

There are several free image hosting sites besides Photobucket, but I think it's the simplest one to use for posting images to forums. JMO. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK. True confessions: we finally got a digital camera for Christmas 2009. I can actually take recognizable pix with it. However, we upload the pix we like to our hard drives (yes, two computers in the house; DH is a techie), and that's where the pix reside.

We don't have Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, or any other account. We don't want to be at the mercy of a third party, as happened to many people when Ofoto went out of business/changed its terms (I can't remember which) and lose all our photos.

So...since we retain complete control over our own pix, we can't upload them to the forum.

New members who *do* have third-party accounts, though, should definitely read the webmaster's photo-posting instructions at https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

as well as the other tips for new members.

Kisal's summary of the procedure is a good one, though! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia this is what I do it may be a bit more than most people want to do but I can do it fast so it works for me; I take my photos and down load them into my computer then I make a DVD back up of them. . I have a hard drive running “Time Machineâ€

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cynthia, you have a Mac, right? I just click and drag whatever photo I want to post from iPhoto onto my desktop, and from there, I upload the photo to Photobucket. The original photo stays in iPhoto, so even if Photobucket or any of the other image hosts I use happens to lose the copy I uploaded, I still have the original in iPhoto.

It's a suggestion I got on a Photoshop forum, and it's been working fine for me for about 4 years now. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We don't have Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, or any other account. We don't want to be at the mercy of a third party, as happened to many people when Ofoto went out of business/changed its terms (I can't remember which) and lose all our photos.

So...since we retain complete control over our own pix, we can't upload them to the forum.

What! no no no. You are uploading a copy only to Photobucket. I'm using Photobucket both for web posting and backup. Like Tomf suggest, backing up your files. If my hard drive crashes, at least I have 700 pictures on Photobucket. If Photobucket goes out of business, I still have all photos on my hard drive.

External hard drive, CD backup, are good ideas.

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We have an external HD, DH does backup routine when I make enough noise. *sigh* For a self-described "IT guy," he really doesn't "get it" that it's my WORK on this hard drive...so my active work files are now on a removeable drive (thumb drive), but that's really not much better. I'd feel SOOO much better with regular back-ups.

No, tomf approached the topic most closely: the non-copying of photos from the third-party vendors + DDF's recommendation re. back-ups. It just feels...odd...to create an account elsewhere and make my photos available to the world (and these wouldn't necessarily be just garden shots; I also make quilts, so there are copyright/design questions at issue, too) just so that I can post them here.

Yes, I'd like to show everyone:

--The rosemary bush that ate El Cerrito: 6' tall x 15' wide x 7' or so deep.
--The redwood tree that IS the back yard: double-trunked, each trunk greater than 10 feet in circumference, the dripline covering all of what long ago was a planted garden, we're told by previous residents of this house.
--Raised Bed #5 jammed into the middle of the small rose garden such that not even the neighbor's cats will use Bed #5 for their own purposes; the roses protect it *that* thoroughly. :shock: Just imagine harvesting veggies...

But the photo-hosting question has been a stumper all this year. I haven't put much time/effort into solving it b/c of all the other stuff I've dealt with, mostly Vergil and his medical things, but from March through July (five months), each of my four animals managed to throw a medical crisis. Vergil just managed to throw the most serious ones, and the ones with the most prolonged recovery periods. He's still not completely recovered, and may never be, so the photo thing has definitely been back-burnered until this thread brought it to the fore.

Hmm...thanks, everyone, for the new ideas. I'll have to run them by "the IT guy" (who has to be harangued into backing up work files).... if I don't post again in the next couple of days, it's because I broke something getting down on the floor to mess with the power cords/cables myself.... Send in a search party....

Cynthia

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It just feels...odd...to create an account elsewhere and make my photos available to the world (and these wouldn't necessarily be just garden shots; I also make quilts, so there are copyright/design questions at issue, too) just so that I can post them here.
Sorry to hear. I guess I'm to carefree. Money isn't everything. :)

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You're not "too carefree" at all, Eric/DDF. The quilting world is undergoing one of its periodic roilings re. copyright, and individuals like me, who would *like* to write and sell quilt patterns, are caught right in the middle.

Until the fires and flames cool down, no images of my quilts will be posted anywhere on the web....even if they've been made from others' designs and with those others' permission. It's being a real mess. :evil:

I'll dig around in "IT guy's" brain and see about the rosemary bush and redwood tree....and the furry creatures...

Cynthia
who hasn't crawled under the table for the power connections yet....

shadowsmom

Cynthia - I just upload to photobucket the photo(s) I want to show on the forum. If you want, as soon as you have posted it, you can delete it from your photobucket account.

Protecting your quilts is a different story, but it works for some plant shots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree that I still have all my photos on my computer, even though they are also on photobucket. We had someone post here that they lost hundred's of photos that were only in a computer when that computer died. Good backing up (being sure that the back ups are located somewhere else than the original HD) would eliminate that hazard. But I'm glad to have some of my photos out there where they won't disappear if something happens to my computer. My garden shots I am not worried about copyrighting or anyone having access to... welcome to them. But Photobucket tracks views and I have never seen any evidence that anyone but me has looked at my stuff. Not to say it couldn't happen (and for your quilt designs I understand the concerns), but it doesn't much.

applestar
Mod

I upload photos to iPhoto, then I have an automatic backup application running specifically to back up all my photos in iPhoto to an external drive. I also import all the iPhoto library to another Mac.

Since the external drive is connected to the uploading computer and the other Mac is networked, although the uploading Mac is password protected for access, I worry that some virus/etc. could crash/destroy the files, not to mention fire, etc.

Removable media backup and off site storage is probably the safest but I haven't been able to research the particulars or get the project in motion yet.... :?

shadowsmom, if you delete the photo from Photobucket account, won't you get the "this photo has been moved or deleted" error?

shadowsmom

shadowsmom, if you delete the photo from Photobucket account, won't you get the "this photo has been moved or deleted" error?
I couldn't remember so I just went and deleted a photo. No - at the top of each photo it has: edit, delete, share, etc. I just clicked on delete. A warning came up to indicate if it was part of a slide show there would be a problem, but that's it. The photo is just gone.

My site has been visited 47 times. My crepe myrtle/hibiscus shots really aren't that exciting.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Cynthia, you've got the added protection with Photobucket of making the albums "Private" - which means that only you get to see what you've uploaded, unless you specifically choose to share the photos on forums/whatnot using the IMG link.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

if you delete the photo from Photobucket account, won't you get the "this photo has been moved or deleted" error?
Apple,

Yes, Even if you organize your photos into albums, also breaks the link. Here is a perfect example. Most of my pictures here on Helpful Gardener are now error messages.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28040

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

What Lorax and DD said.
Also only upload photos you want to share, you pick the photos to upload so you do not have to put ones you do not want to share on Photobucket. I have very few of my photos on Photobucket and Flicker. Like it has been said back up your photos on DVD's, HD but back then m up.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Speaking as a new member, it seems (as would be logical) that there are circles of friends here who have been here a while and so write each other a lot.
Lily51,

I've brought this up in couple Private Messages. Mostly whining :) ,Why there seems to be new members every day but only the same people posting. This post is a perfect example. 4 moderators and a couple others.

Garden5, Tomf, Tedln and a few others are frequent poster, but can't say they are friends or not.

Photos are not necessary, but I think they help.

Eric

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I think that photos bring interest to a topic if not for identification purposes then maybe just as a "oh that person posted a photo?? I must see it!" lol human curiosity... gotta love it :)

I also think that who you see posting depends on which areas you visit most often.. there are some subjects that I hardly ever visit because they just don't pertain to my plants and I, and the people who post there may never visit the places I post and vise versa. The people who respond to you the most or that you respond to the most will be the people who become entwined in your specific "circle" of people.

I know I for one would be more likely to visit a link with photos involved and be more interested in that topic then I would if there weren't any pictures involved at all. I also know that not every topic needs a photo in it. But those without photos are usually the posts that are likely to have more interest without the need of a photo anyway.

:lol: Kinda like the use of smilies! :D They add visual interest as would a photo being posted! :!: :wink:

It is possible for a new member to become a regular poster.. Just look at me :D I post all the time now (usually with questions or curiosities lol) but I've been posting for so long now that I am now a regular poster and a "Green Thumb" as well. Wewt! 8) :lol:

shadowsmom

shadowsmom wrote:
I couldn't remember so I just went and deleted a photo. No - at the top of each photo it has: edit, delete, share, etc. I just clicked on delete. A warning came up to indicate if it was part of a slide show there would be a problem, but that's it. The photo is just gone.

My site has been visited 47 times. My crepe myrtle/hibiscus shots really aren't that exciting.
Now I know what you you were referring to! I didn't realize that would happen until tomf showed an example. I guess it still works as a temporary look-see.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Lily51,

I've brought this up in couple Private Messages. Mostly whining :) ,Why there seems to be new members every day but only the same people posting. This post is a perfect example. 4 moderators and a couple others.

Garden5, Tomf, Tedln and a few others are frequent poster, but can't say they are friends or not.

Photos are not necessary, but I think they help.

Eric
We are just friend who have never met in person. Maybe some day we will. If any one else wants to join in , I feel the more the merrier.

ozark_rocks

BewilderedGreenyO.o wrote:I've noticed quite frequently on the forum that new members tend to shy away from posting photos.

But basically what I am saying is that overall it saddens me to see a member turned off of the forum just because they have to post a photo and for one reason or another "can't". Would love to hear others thoughts on this matter. :D

I don't post photos, because my dial up internet is soo slow. It often discounects before a picture uplaods. I would likely post more if I could post photos. Also if this site had spell check. Slow internet keeps me from installing that too.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ozark_rocks,
Also if this site had spell check. Slow internet keeps me from installing that too.
Try IE-Spell, it's only 2 MB and you should have no problem downloading it even on dial-up. I had it installed in the past but after an unrelated crash I never reinstalled it until right now. It integrates nicely with this site via the context menu (right click).

https://download.cnet.com/ieSpell/3000-12512_4-10208550.html?part=dl-ieSpell&subj=uo&tag=button

As for the pictures, uploading pictures as they come from your camera could be an issue on dial-up. Even with a cable modem I nearly always crop and resize any photos I upload, not so much for my benefit but for the benefit of others who may wish to view them. Hosting sites may have limits on file size anyway.

I use Photoshop for this but there are other free programs that you can use.

Norm

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Gnome,

With DSL it only took 28 seconds to down load IE-Spell

Eric

ozark_rocks

Also if this site had spell check. Slow internet keeps me from installing that too.
Try IE-Spell, it's only 2 MB and you should have no problem downloading it even on dial-up. I had it installed in the past but after an unrelated crash I never reinstalled it until right now. It integrates nicely with this site via the context menu (right click).

Thank you, I will look in to it.

As for the pictures...we download to the computer,and also save on disc, but even sending though e-mail hurts. Maybe some day we will upgrade to satellite, but right now it runs at $59.00 per month, and I will not pay that.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

From dial-up to satellite is a big jump.

Do you have DSL or Cable available? DSL here on the island is 34.95 per month.

Eric

ozark_rocks

DoubleDogFarm wrote:From dial-up to satellite is a big jump.

Do you have DSL or Cable available? DSL here on the island is 34.95 per month.

Eric
We tryed DSL but it was'nt much better than dial-up, same provider. We still have above ground telephone lines, to give you an idea on how far behind the company is. We don't have cable here either.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Eric,
Thanks Gnome,

With DSL it only took 28 seconds to down load IE-Spell
You're welcome, I think you'll like it.

ozark_rocks
As for the pictures...we download to the computer,and also save on disk, but even sending though e-mail hurts. Maybe some day we will upgrade to satellite, but right now it runs at $59.00 per month, and I will not pay that.
I take it you mean that you transfer your pictures from the camera to your computer and also backup to disk. Is that Correct? Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to make sure I understand the situation.

Can you give us an example of the size of the images you are trying to upload? What is the resolution in pixels and what is the size in KB or MB. We should be able to help you to upload pictures successfully but you may have to make the effort to learn about a free piece of software.

Norm

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The photos I up load to the net are for sharing and I reduce them in size to 40% or less and make them JEPGs making the files less than 2MB's. I store all my photos on DVD's.

OH!!!! Keep your DVD's in a cool place out of the sun!

ozark_rocks

I take it you mean that you transfer your pictures from the camera to your computer and also backup to disk. Is that Correct? Not trying to be a PITA, just trying to make sure I understand the situation.

Can you give us an example of the size of the images you are trying to upload? What is the resolution in pixels and what is the size in KB or MB. We should be able to help you to upload pictures successfully but you may have to make the effort to learn about a free piece of software.

Norm
You got it right, from camera , to computer, to backup disc.
As to size, they are 2 MB and smaller. I don't know the pixels, but it is JPEG image.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ozark_rocks,
As to size, they are 2 MB and smaller. I don't know the pixels, but it is JPEG image.
If 2 MB is too large for you to upload there is a way to reduce them. The first step is to download and install a program called "irfanview" it is a picture viewer but it is also more.

I never liked the viewer that came with windows and some time ago I found this one and it is really an impressive work especially if you consider that the author offers it for free. Follow the download link on the homepage, it's less than 1.5 MB
https://www.irfanview.com/

When you install it you can let it associate itself with any, or all, of the various image formats, but it is not necessary to do so. If you are unsure, don't let it associate itself with any file types, you can still use it as an image editor to crop and resize your images. You can always change file associations later.

I'll wait and see if you decide to give it a shot before I elaborate further.

Norm

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”