potty
Newly Registered

giant sunflower

My children have grown 2 sunflowers and they have now grown to about14ft high but have only just begun to form the flower head---Would it help them produce a better flower if we removed some of the leaves which are huge!!? :wink:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Generally speaking plants flower and produce fruit when they are somewhat stressed so, if you have added any fertilizer, cease and desist this process and maybe water the plant a bit less often to stress it a little and it may flower for you.

cambece

Wow 14ft, that's huge.

JA Cambece

potty
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Generally speaking plants flower and produce fruit when they are somewhat stressed so, if you have added any fertilizer, cease and desist this process and maybe water the plant a bit less often to stress it a little and it may flower for you.
The plants are in the ground so the water thing is not an option-- :(
I'm going to have to shout at them :lol: --And find some even taller supports.
Thanks

potty
Newly Registered

cambece wrote:Wow 14ft, that's huge.

JA Cambece
JA Cambece Law Office
That's the smaller of the two--I'm beginning to wonder if that jack and the beanstalk story was true!! :wink:
I check every morning now-but no big footprints yet :D

jstr12

The highest I've ever seen is 10 feet!!! You've gotta be doing somthing right! :wink:

jstr :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Are you not watering the plants at all? Is that why the water thing is not an option?

potty
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Are you not watering the plants at all? Is that why the water thing is not an option?
What I mean is that the plants are in the ground and I cant do anything about the rain! :)
I got above them last eve and they are starting to form the flower---wonder how big thats going to be :shock:

jstr12

Well I guess it dosn't matter now but to help with rain you could lay a tarp around around the sunflower.
jstr :D

thisbattymom

8) Can I have some seeds??? :lol:

potty
Newly Registered

thisbattymom wrote:8) Can I have some seeds??? :lol:
When the seeds are ready I'll pm you for the address :) Can't guarantee the results though! :wink:

allaboutgiants
Newly Registered

potty, how big is the bud now and how tall are your sunflower?
Do not remove the leaves because it would slow down growth. Just water them a lot when they are done with their height and start to bloom. My sunflower are prematured and just 12' tall, but I am happy to hear someone is having some success. I believe that one of your neighbor, Richard Hope of UK has just grown a 22' tall sunflower. I sure like to get my hands on some of those seeds. When you are done with your season, I would love to trade some seeds with you. I have many varieties, including Craven, Bott's Strain, and Diane's Strain.

rutheo
Newly Registered

I have also had huge sunflowers this year two at 14ft one with a 12inch head they are amazing . and I have got one which has a main head and 17 small heads and leaves that are huge too.

the man with the 22foot sunflower it must be the world record because I looked when mine starting getting massive and the record was 21foot. he should find out.

allaboutgiants
Newly Registered

rutheo, cograts on a nice season.
No, the UK record is 23 ft (RH just missed by 1 foot!)and the world record is just under 26 ft.
Bernard Lavery this year grew some in the 18 ft range and they were in small pots! It must be something about the UK weather.

rutheo
Newly Registered

really wow thats fab.
I think next year I am going to get some red sunflowers and yellow I think that would look pretty.
I think it has been the weather this year I am still shocked at the size of them :shock:

well hope everyone has a fab weekend x

opp2

I worked at our local fair last night. There was a large sunflower, nearly 12-13 feet, and one next to it with around 21 heads on it. What took me by surprise was the corn about 20 feet tall.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”