Lesli

Strange plant

Does anyone know what this plant is? My mother got it from a neighbor many years ago but I´ve never seen one anywhere else.

[img]https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8215/bottlebrushplant.jpg[/img]

Thanks
Lesli

lorax
Greener Thumb

Hmmmm. The leaves say "Clivia" to me, but the flower heads aren't even close to right for that. :?

Lesli

Thanks for replying lorax, the leaves do resemble clivia but I´ve finally found it on Wikipedia..... , it´s called Haemanthus albiflos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemanthus_albiflos

As it says in the link, they thrive on neglect...I water them once a month if I remember and they grow and multiply in their plant pots without any help at all. One is supposed to re- pot all the offspring but there are so many that I´d have no floor space left at all if I did so. One year I repotted some and the others I left in a plastic bag without soil in the garage because I felt bad about throwing them away, they were still alive and well months later!! Over watering seems to be the only thing they don´t like.

TinaK
Newly Registered

Wow! That is a really handsome plant! Looks great with your home decor, it would also look great in a fancy interior decorating mag!

Lesli

Thanks Tina, if anyone is looking for a decorative but low care plant this is certainly a good choice :D

Do you grow your kale for consumption by the way or just for decoration?....I have some seeds but haven´t planted any yet....I´d really like to plant them in a container of some sort with a view to cannibalizing them eventually :shock:

Lesli

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”