anansa
Newly Registered

Whats wrong with my bergonia?

Hi,
I think its a bergonia? i have it in a semi shaded position, it is under shade cloth and gets about 8-10 hours of sunlight a day, it has gone like this in the last couple of weeks, before that the leaves were nice a lush and green, is it meant to do this or am i doing something wrong?

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/kisscurls_ponies/plants/100_2092.jpg[/img]

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

It looks healthy to me especially since I can see blooms on it and new growth... What I'd suggest you do to make it look a bit nicer is to remove the dead leaves that have had their glory already and throw them away. Do this frequently as begonias tend to need a clean up to keep them happy and healthy. Cleaning up dead leaves around the base of any of your plants is a good idea as bugs and disease love dead decaying foliage.

Another thing is that some begonias have a wintering period. Hopefully this answered your question :D :D Take care!
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

keen gardener

Lack of Light

Hi Anansa

I am a professional gardener and it looks like from the photo your begonia is suffering what we call elongation due to lack of light. It causes them to grow all lanky. I suggest you eithe remove the shade cloth or put the plant in a position where it receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Mine is in a pot and it gets the morning sun and afternoon shade. We get really hot summer days here in Melbourne like over 40C (104F) and then I bring it inside and we all hibinate together.

The shade cloth is blogging out too much light. A prune back would also help as BewilderedGreenyO.o suggested.

Cheers Keen Gardener
Interested in growing vegetables, annuals, herbaceous perennials and succulents. Love historic gardens and am involved with the Friends of La Trobe's Cottage in Melbourne in the garden group.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”