BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

"Name That Bug!!"

LMFAO reminds me of some sorta game show or something... " name that tune" :wink:

Anyway! :D So I was in the kitchen observing my plants when I picked one up and noticed there were ity bity little bugs crawling around under the pots!! :shock: They are so tiny that they just look like specks on a camera yet visible to the eyes. There wasn't an overwhelming amount ( that I can tell ) but still enough to worry me as they were under more than one pot in the kitchen. I Decided to capture one and now have it in a tiny jar next to me... EWWWW!!!!!! LMFAO ( I am soooo *NOT* a insect person :wink: ) Anyhow here are some characteristics.

- they are really tiny.
- they come in different sizes... super duper tiny .. to really tiny .. to tiny.
- they are blackish greyish brown in color. At first glance I would discribe them as black but looking closer they are more of a semi translucent gray color.
- they move pretty quick for such tiny little bugs.
- they move around like an ant would... aimlessly.
- he doesn't fly, he crawls.. and doesn't jump as far as I know just tries to climb the jar wall then falls or jumps off can't decide which.
- "he" could possibly be a she :wink:
- If I were to take a picture of the jar he/she is in you would think the jar was empty and that I had just caught an imaginary bug :>
- It has two front feelers... and doesn't stand still long enough for me to strain my eyes to see how many legs it has. ( if i were in a jar with a giant examining me I wouldn't stay still either. )
- I've determined he doesn't look like a mite or at least not the type of mites that look like spider mites.

I'm hoping this is enough detail... if not please let me know and I will attempt to send a picture.. LMFAO (that should be fun) or perhaps my blurry cell phone video of them running around on a paper towel.

Good Luck contestants.. Let the games Begin!! :P
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

lorax
Greener Thumb

They sound like (drumroll please....)

Fungus gnats. You can kill 'em deader than dead by dusting the surface of affected plants' soil with powdered cinnamon.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

omg! Just one more reason to Absolutely Love you Lorax! :D I'd hug you if I could but since I can't a huge THANK YOU!!! will have to do :() :() :() I will get some powdered cinnamon on them as soon as possible. couple quick questions.

1. Will it work the same with old cinnamon, I have some old stuff that I never used I figure this would be a great way to use it lol
2. If I dust the cinnamon on the surface then water my plant will my plants be harmed by the cinnamon draining down to the roots? (I'm guessing not :wink: but thought I'd stay on the safe side :D )
I'm rooting for you!

lorax
Greener Thumb

1. You can indeed use that same old cinnamon you've got in the spice cupboard (but how have you survived so long without using it?!?!? :shock: ) - it doesn't go off or lose its effectiveness with a little age. Unless what you have in your cupboard is more than 10 years old - then you do need to go to Safeway or wherever and get fresh. :?

2. It doesn't harm the plant at all. What it will do, though, is kill off the fungus in your soil that the gnats were eating. No fungus, no gnats. :() In fact, when I take cuttings that I can't root right then (Echeverria or wild Philodendron, for a pair of examples), I dip the cut end in cinnamon right then and there to prevent them from damping off before they can callus over.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

::UPDATE::

Alright so I've put cinnomon on the top of all the soil... I've stopped watering as much as possible. (Actually thankfully the plants that are affected are fairly drought resistant :D ) Anyway so now the soil is pretty dry. I have been switching the plants back and forth cleaning the area daily and checking for gnats by taping the container on a paper towel, then disposing of the paper towel if gnats are found. Today I was doing my daily cleanup when I realized something under the top layer of cinnimon soil.... :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek: To my surprise and dismay It was an EGG!!! -wall- -wall- -wall- So I continued to take photos of course :wink: and put it into a sealed container for further study. Just as I was done putting it into the container from the corner of my eye I saw another one on another plants soil!! So I collected it and figured.. "well if there are 2 eggs there must be more.. " so I decided to just loosen up the soil on each of the other plants to check for those eggs.. I ended up finding 8!! And thats only on the surface soil of four small plants!!! EWWWW! Ok so anyway I digress, I put the other eggs with the one in the container and took pictures and made sure to seal the container.

and to think that all the cleaning and work I've been putting into trying to get rid of them was going to just start all over again with EGGS!! *sigh* I feel it is an infestation that can't be stopped, I'm sure I didn't get all the eggs there are likely more deeper down in the soil and near the roots.... Sad times :(

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/Plant%20Issues/P1010171.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/Plant%20Issues/P1010172.jpg[/img]
I'm rooting for you!

lorax
Greener Thumb

OK, since you've got eggs, you need to do a complete soil change on those plants. Repot! Repot! Get clean soil, too - fresh from the store, and then examine it for eggs before you fill the new pots.

You don't have to wash the roots of your plants, though (in fact, I wouldn't reccomend it) - just pop them out of their current pots, shake a bit, and pop into the new ones with the fresh soil.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Are you sure those are insect eggs, and not just slow-release fertilizer? What kind of potting mix did you use? Most brands contain a slow-release fertilizer, and the little balls are often mistaken for insect eggs. The "eggs" in your pic appear far too large to be those of the tiny insects you described.

Also, you only have to let the soil get dry down to about an inch below the surface, at the most, to deter fungus gnats. The larvae don't live deep in the soil. Don't stop watering and kill your plants over this! :(
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I'm pretty positive they are eggs. Mostly cuz I saw something move in one of them lol Another reason is because the soil I used doesn't have any fertilizer in it. Also I would have noticed these eggs while I was potting my plants as they are hard to miss being that round and that yellowish green compared to the soil. They are also different sizes and if I remember rightly at least from Miracle grow soils the fertilizer balls all seem to be about the same size balls. As far as water goes they are fine. I would never ever starve a plant of water :wink:
I'm rooting for you!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”