hrosa

need your help

:?: Please I need your help. Last year I bought 15 ac. in Sceven CO. GA. for recreational use. In January I will be planting 2000 oak trees, White, Sawthooth, Northen Red and Live Oak varaity. What I would like to do
is leave some on the property to lamdscape and provide a food sorce and
habitat for wildlife, but would like to harvest the rest in five years to sell for landscapeing. My question is, What kind of permits or license do I
need to do this? Who can I contact in order to wholesell these trees to?
Can you provide me with the name of Tree Broker to contact. I have serched the net extensively with no luck. Please any infomation you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

H Rosa

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Your best bet is to contact your states extension service (usually found in conjunction with your state college system). They will be able to direct you to the right state departments for permitting purposes, recommend species and harvest methods and refer you to some growers who may want to make use of your product. Do some homework there; oaks are the backbone of the biosphere in the eastern US, but they have enjoyed lacklustre sales in recent years ("They're messy", "They're slow" "I want a tree I can enjoy; how about that Norway maple?"). But definitely plant the oaks for the landscape; there is no better wildlife plant available (assuming you are using native forms). There are other good natives that you could get a bit more of a premium for, especially in your area (think Oxydendron and Franklinia and Magnolia for landscaping). Finally spending the money to join your state nurseryman's organization would be a great idea; people in this industry share ideas pretty freely and it would be a good way to avoid those mistakes that everyone else has made...

Good luck...
Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”