BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

First bad day in the garden :(

Alright so I have been gardening now for about lets say 2 months or so and today was the first day that I actually went out there and came in to find myself a bit depressed :| I saw that my new begonia baby had wilted badly and I feel it is due to the fact that I let it go without water today before leaving the house for work. So I decided that I would repot it since it needed new soil anyway considering it wasn't doing all that well from the beginning from the previous owner.

When I took it out of its old pot to see its roots and how they looked it was truly a mess. there were dead roots everywhere that weren't attached to the plant there also seemed to be a Tuber so I decided to break it off to plant separately in case the other half didn't survive which I later regretted when I saw how many roots stayed with the tuber instead of the other plant :( So I repotted them both separately in some well draining soil and gave them some water and brought them back inside as I felt they were perhaps getting to much sun :(

Afterwards I came back inside and just felt horrible... really not knowing what I had just done... I either just killed both plants out of over reacting to the plant wilting or I did them both some good by separating and repotting them.

*sigh* I guess only time will tell :(
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

NorthCoastGardener

I'm sorry to hear about your bad gardening day. I've been gardening for many years, just a home gardener, and in my experience there are plenty of times bad things happen for one reason or another, even when you think you've got it all under control.

Give your begonia some time and see how it reacts to being repotted and watered, a few days to a week and you might see some recovery. Repotting or replanting usually takes some time for the plant to recover. As for the tuber part of the begonia plant, unless the original and new begonia tubers have softened and rotted away they should be ok for next year if they don't recover this year, the same as most other bulbs. I haven't grown too many begonias in the past but usually had them in filtered shade, much like fuchsias.

I hope your next gardening day goes better for you, please don't be discouraged, bad gardening days happen to everyone. :)
NorthCoastGardener

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not to ignorant but if that is only bad thing so far you are doing good. :D

But as said the good will outweigh the bad no matter what.

Keep it going if one thing doesn't work a hundred other things will. You gotta love gardening with it's up and downs it's very humbling yet very rewarding at the same time. :wink:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thank You All so very much for the encouragement :D . I'm doing a bit better today it seems. It is still uncertain if my plant will live or not but I've decided to take one of the leaves that I knew wouldn't make it and am trying to propagate it through 5-6 wedge cuttings. So we'll see. I figure a lot of gardening has to do with trial and error. So we'll see if it works out and if it does then at least I'll have 5 or so more baby plants to replace the adult if the adult ends up dying due to my own error :| If I do come out of all of this without anything to show for my efforts to keep it alive i'll be a bit sad but at least I will have learned a lesson through the process. I want to thank you all again so much for all the encouragement and support. I am so happy with everyone on this forum. Such great people to share with :D ! <3 <3 <3
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gardening = trial and error?

Who would have thunk? :P :lol:

You will be fine. To be honest I screw up all the time that is how you get better. :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”