Dave 2
Newly Registered

I Need to Have Plants Identified

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help.
Let me give a little background first.
Near where I live a reservoir was built in about 1930.
There is an area close to the reservoir where a house once stood prior to 1930.
There are a number of surviving plants from a garden that once was there.
They have been growing without help for all that time, battling against the wild plants that are taking over the area.
I would like to try and find some names for the plants that have survived.
I will attach some pic's I took, and give the dates when I took them.

Photos can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29955043@N00/?xp=1
I have put a date with each photo.

Thanks, look forward to hearing your response.

Regards Dave

PS if your intrested where they where taken use this grid ref on this website:
TQ801191
https://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm

webmaster
Site Admin

Is this [url=https://www.southernwater.co.uk/educationandenvironment/biodiversityactionplan/explorer/sites/powdermill.asp]the reservoir[/url]?

Dave 2
Newly Registered

Yes, that's the one.
The grid reference I put in my post will give the exact location of where the house used to be.

There are some photos of the reservoir while it was being built here in the history section.
https://www.hastingsflyfishers.co.uk/

Dave[/url]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Dave, what a wonderful discovery!
Could you give me a few points of reference for your photos, and I will certainly look for you. Because the photos are focused in on specific features of the plant, I don't have anything else to fit them with.
- First, the photo with the white flower - I see some very small thorns, the flowers, and a couple of very immature buds. Can you tell me to start from is it a rose? If not, there is not a clear indication of what the leaves look like, or what type of plant it is - bush, vine, etc. and these would help.
- The red rose, is it extremely thorny, how tall is it?
- The pink spire flower - how tall is it, what sort of plant is it on, what do the leave look like?
- The photo that has leaves, and then small trunks, is that a part of any of these other plants, or it's own. How tall is it? Was there any indication of a flower or berry or anything?
- The photo with all the shrubs and bushes, is this what the situation looks like as a whole, or is there something specific to focus on?
- The photo with the light purple flowers on a spike, how big is the plant? Are those it's leaves it is laying on?

I know that these are alot of questions, but it will help downsize the amount of material to look through to identify them. If you can answer any of them, it would really help. I will do what I can to help!! :wink:

Val

Dave 2
Newly Registered

Val, thanks for taking an interest in my post.

I will try and answer the questions as best I can.

- First, the photo with the white flower - I see some very small thorns, the flowers, and a couple of very immature buds. Can you tell me to start from is it a rose? If not, there is not a clear indication of what the leaves look like, or what type of plant it is - bush, vine, etc. and these would help.

There is not much info I can add to this one, other than what's on the photo. I am wondering if I should go back and try to collect more info on it, but I fear the plant will have died off by now. I don't believe the leaves in the background of the shot have anything to do with the flower.

- The red rose, is it extremely thorny, how tall is it?

The red rose was very thorny. The rose was fighting its way up through the brambles. I would say it had to be a minimum of six feet tall, possibly as tall as eight feet.

The pink spire flower - how tall is it, what sort of plant is it on, what do the leave look like?

The photo DSCN8684 and DSCN8451 are of the same plant. I think the colour difference between the flowers is more to do with the photos than anything. The flowers where a light pink colour. More like the colour of DSCN8451 photo than the other one.

The flowers were at different hights on the plant. The lowest was a few inches from the ground. The highest was about six feet from the ground.

The leafs can be seen in the photo DSCN8684 the flower head is resting on them.

The flowers where between four to six inches long. They veried a little in size. The fine detail on the flowers was hard to see with the naked eye.

The photo that has leaves, and then small trunks, is that a part of any of these other plants, or it's own. How tall is it? Was there any indication of a flower or berry or anything?

No, it is not part of any of the other plants. It was about 5 to 6 feet tall. There where no flowers or berry's on it that I could see.

The leafs and the bamboo like stems are the same plant.

The photo with all the shrubs and bushes, is this what the situation looks like as a whole, or is there something specific to focus on?

Yes, that was the situation as a whole. You can see in this shot the red rose flowering above the height of the brambles. I am holding the camera up at head height when I take this photo.

The photo with the light purple flowers on a spike, how big is the plant? Are those it's leaves it is laying on?

Details as mentioned above.

Regards
Dave

turtleguy

Hey Dave, what a great find. I have a couple of possible answers for you. First, the plant with the bamboo-like stems is Polygonum cuspidatum. I know this because I moved in to an old house last summer and this plant was in the yard. I thought it was really pretty but had no idea what it was. I finally found it on the internet. It is also known as false bamboo, mexican bamboo, and japanese knotweed. It will have small white plowers in late summer, followed by red seed pods. It is considered by some to be a very invasive weed. It will spread rapidly by underground runners if given enough moisture. Still a beautiful plant. As for the rose, it looks like rosa rugosa judging from the thorns. This is just a guess. Good luck with the other plants. I'll do a little more research.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Definitely not "rosa rugosa" - way too many petals. I think this is one of the old garden roses. I am just trying to identify which one.
Turtleguy, I believe you are right regarding the "Polygonum cuspidatum" - note the red banding on the stems.
I believe that the pink spire flower belongs to the genus "persicaria", and am trying to identify the species for you.
Still working on the rest Dave - not to worry, we'll get there. :wink:

Val

Newt
Greener Thumb

Wow, this has been interesting! I can't help with what flower is which, but Val, I'm wondering if this site could be helpful for the roses.
https://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/index.lasso

You might try searching for Persicaria here.
https://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/multisite/multisite3.php

Dave, if you are a memeber of the RHS you can get help from them.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/advisory_service.asp

You might also find this helpful.
https://www.reticule.co.uk/flora/

Newt

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks Newt for the sites - the rose site you suggested has been bookmarked in my favorites for years!! It's one of my main rose search tools. :wink:

Val

Newt
Greener Thumb

Val, I thought you might have that site. I'm thinking that without more info on the flower such as fragrance, etc., you still might not be able to id it.

Wish I could help more. I love solving mysteries.
Newt

Dave 2
Newly Registered

Thanks Newt, I have just put all the sites into my Favourites list. and will look at them later when I get more time.

Just for your interest there was one other plant at the location that I have already managed to identified it is:
Monk's-hood - Aconitum Napellus

Thanks again,
Dave

Newt
Greener Thumb

Dave you are so very welcome! I'm curious about what will be done to/with that area, if anything. Is there a plan to clear away the weeds and maintain the plants there? If you do ID the rose have you thought about contacting an heirloom rosarian to see if it might need to be propagated so it can be saved? Roses noted as heirloom are from before 1900, but 'your' rose might be that old if the house had been built before then.

Newt

Dave 2
Newly Registered

There are no plans for the area that I know of. I would image it will just stay as it is, with everyting fighting for its own survival.
As to the heirloom rosarian, I did not know there was one. This is something well worth keeping in mind. If they turn out to be of special intrest.
I was hoping I might be able to walk up to the area again today, and see if there was any other info I could gather. Maybe if possible get some shots of the leafs and stems of the plants, see if there was anything new there that had sprung up recently. The weather is not great here at the moment but I might be able to walk up there between the rain drops.

I am going to add a few photos of the general area into the gallery, so that you can get a feel for the place. None of them really show much of the exact area we have been talking about but you might like to see them all the same.

In one of the photos there are a set of steps that probably once where the entrance to the building we have been talking about.

Regards Dave

Newt
Greener Thumb

Dave, more photos would be wonderful, especially of the rose for id. I realize you are 7 hours ahead of us, so you may have already been there and are home again, but photos of the canes and thorns as well as any rose hips and leaves would also be helpful. If you can, take a picture of the back of a flower where the calyx is.

To find a rosarian who is knowledgeable about heirloom roses try a google with:
rose society + UK

Stay dry!
Newt

Dave 2
Newly Registered

Well, I walked up there, but there was nothing else I could get. The roses had died off. There where a few rose plant stems, but I cannot be sure that they are the ones, and not wild roses.
Nothing new had appeared that I could see.

Dave

Newt
Greener Thumb

Dave, thanks for the update. Hopefully Val will come up with something for the rose or you may have to wait until they bloom again next year.

Newt

Dave 2
Newly Registered

I have just been told the Steeple bushes could be (Spiraea sp)

Dave 2

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Dave,

I was working on a question on another board and came across this site and thought of you. You might want to hold on to this for next year as it might help you to id some of what you see growing in the area.
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/sitemap.html

Here's their main page.
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/

Newt

GreenBayMike

Dave,

Just curious if you were wanting to get some of these plants for yourself? If so, wouldn't you be able to take a cutting or use some other means of propegating (short of transplanting of course) to generate your own copies of these plants?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”