Dixana
Greener Thumb

-sigh- To build or not to build.....

So here's the rub. The hubby is leveling the backyard next spring and laying sod. Years of neglect and a pool or two have made it full of holes and all unlevel so it needs to be fixed.
The problem here is my raised beds. We're not staying at this house. We will be here 1-2 more years. My choices are to build the beds and maybe only use them for one summer. OR go without a garden one summer.
Do raised beds add to home value?? The backyard is so small already :(

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Dixana, if it was me, I'd choose to do without a garden for a year or so. The cost and effort of building raised beds makes it not cost effective or practical for that short a term of use. From your post, you're talking only 1 season. I know there's no substitute for home grown produce but how much are you willing to pay in actual cost and the man/woman hrs. needed to make it thrive.

When the house goes up for sale, who knows if the potential new owners have a liking for gardening and may find the raised beds an eyesore or at the very least, a space eater in an already small yard. Not to say it would sabotage a sale, but it could wind up being a negative. And if the potential buyer is an avid gardener, I doubt a raised bed or two would cinch the sale.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree that building raised beds is a big investment at least of time and maybe some money, if you aren't staying. And I agree unlikely that the beds would add much value, if any.

But why does not building the raised beds mean you can't have a garden? People gardened in the ground forever, before anyone started raised beds. If your soil isn't very good, do raised wide rows, where you dump the topsoil from between the rows onto the row (no box- once planted it will stay put pretty well for the season; plant the sides to help with that). Add your amendments on top of that and plant!

shadowsmom

If you will be satisfied growing some things in containers that could work for a year or two. You can always move the containers with you to your new home.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

RBG I just don't want to tear up a big chunk of the yard if we lay sod down.....
I think I may have to just use containers and the space in front of the fence which I could ammend this fall
:( I'm just so bummed about not having my huge garden like I planned.
I guess though I can just keep dreaming of how huge my garden will be when we move in the country....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote: :( I'm just so bummed about not having my huge garden like I planned.
I guess though I can just keep dreaming of how huge my garden will be when we move in the country....
I think you just answered your own question right there. If it were me I wouldn't waste the money and time doing all that for just a year or two, but if you are moving to somewhere you will probably have much more room, than that would be the time go hog wild and get back to gardening. Though you could always have a smaller garden to get you by until then, just not with raised beds. You can always plant grass or whatever there before you go to sell.

When we moved out of our last house a few years ago the new owners got one hell of a garden, they were raised beds, somewhat small but excellent soil. I hope they are using it. We moved in mid summer and there were still plants in there, though I did take some of tomatoes with us. :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”