Hortensia
Newly Registered

Scented geraniums

I've had a scented geranium in a pot for a few years, which each winter I move to the sheltered passage outside my kitchen for protectiion from the frosts. This Spring, however, I removed it from the pot and planted it out in the garden where it promptly doubled its size and turned into a most beautiful, shapely bush with a multitude of tiny pink flowerheads. My question is, will it be safe to leave it out where it is to overwinter in the garden? Are geraniums hardy enough for this?

femlow

What zone are you in/where do you live?

Hortensia
Newly Registered

In London, south-east England.

femlow

I'm afraid I don't actually know what the climate is like there. So depending on how cold your winters get, it may or may not be fine. Where I live, we get some snow during the winter months, some nights below freezing, etc but its not excessivly cold. In these conditions, even though we don't have harsh winters, we have to cover our plants with mulch, and sometimes cold frames or mobile greenhouses. Others will plant them close to their house. its important that they not freeze because they will most likely not come back.

fem

Hortensia
Newly Registered

So - where do you live then? What's the big secret?!

Seriously, the UK , where I live is in northern Europe where the climate is described as 'temperate' - our winter conditions sound exactly like yours, wherever you are, so I guess I will have to protect my geranium one way or another.

Very many thanks for taking the trouble to respond, Femlow.

femlow

No secret. I live in Northern California (though only for another two weeks or so). If your conditions are similar, then you should protect it during the winter with a good layer of mulch and maybe some clear plastic. It will help ensure that they come back next year.

fem

decam0

Hi
Your geranium might just be okay in London, but I wouldn't take the chance if it's precious. I'd repot it and bring it inside again for the winter.
The alternative would be to take cuttings, bring these inside and chance the mother plant outside.
Good luck
Delia

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”