turtleguy

New Orleans Botanic Garden

Hello everyone, I've been looking at some of the pictures of New Orleans and surrounding areas showing the damage from Katrina. I ran across a website www.neworleanscitypark.com that has some interesting pictures of the work being done to restore the N.O. botanic garden. They have posted a "wish list" for plant material to replace what was lost in the storm. I know some of you in the Northern Areas might not be able to donate plants, but possibly seeds? For the rest of you here down south maybe this would be a good project for the upcoming school year! Please take a look! Thanks.....and Happy Gardening.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I personally think that this is a great idea. I can't send seeds because I live in Canada but, I encourage others to do so.

Scented Nectar

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's ok to send seeds from Canada. I live in Canada and have ordered seeds from England with no need for any special permits. With live plants it's another story though. Ordering from the US, I've had to pay for phyto-something inspections, and when ordering some Hoyas from Hawaii, I had to get some gov't import papers first.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh, I've tried and trust me, it doesn't work.

Scented Nectar

opabinia51 wrote:Oh, I've tried and trust me, it doesn't work.
That's good to know, in case I want to send seeds to someone in the US. I've sent seeds to England with no problem but never to the US. Did they get returned with an explanation?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah, they get returned with a letter from U.S. Customs. I've done seed trades with people in Europe as well with no trouble but, U.S. Customs is quite stern regarding seeds crossing the border.

Anyway, I strongly urge anyone from South of the border to donate seeds and plants to this worthy cause.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”