tomf
Super Green Thumb

Hot plate for canning?

I am thinking of replacing my range and oven and all the ones I am looking at have smooth tops. I hear they are no good for canning so I am thinking of getting a hot plate. What would be a good hot plate to get?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never done pressure canning, but I do water bath canning on my smooth top range, no problem.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks I will tell my wife.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow why don't you like the smooth top? As we want a convection oven all the ranges we have found have smooth tops.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I don't like the smooth top and am hoping that lightning will strike it so I can collect the insurance and get a good old stove with burners, but until that happens, I'm stuck.
LOL! I seem to remember (after trying to do mess of greenbeans in the pressure canner with a glass top a few years ago) reading something in the manual about not using it on the glass top. It might have been on mirro's website. IDK, I'll have to investigate that when I get home. Anyway, after much scrambling around and a near meltdown ( me not the canner) we ended up using the turkey fryer. I had always used electric before that. I have only used gas after that.

I cannot suggest pressure canning on a flat top. However, water bath canning is not a problem.

If you get a hot plate, get a BIG 'UN :() I would suggest a propane powered single burner ( something like a turkey fryer) or if you can find one, a gas range :() :() :() I switched to gas with the remodel. I'll never use anything else! IMHO, it is the easiest way to pressure can since maintaining constant steady heat is the name of the game.[/quote]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

... I forgot to mention electric pressure canners. They have a self contained heat source. Most are digital too. I, however have no experience with them other than stalking them at online stores... :roll: ... Just waiting on them to go on clearance :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Rainbow why don't you like the smooth top? As we want a convection oven all the ranges we have found have smooth tops.
Marlingardener was the one that said they didn't like their smooth top, not me. I like mine as well or better than than other electric ranges. If I had my choice, I would have a gas range for the instant off. The electric burners take a long time to cool down. But the smooth top is nice for sliding pots from one burner to another or even to the middle off the burner. It isn't quite as easy clean as they say and you have to get special cleanser cream for it. But electric is probably better from an earth friendly point of view... you could get your electricity from solar or wind energy. Gas stoves burn petroleum.

Also soon after we got ours I was trying to get to the high cupboard which is over the microwave, which is over the stove. I was standing on the counter next to the stove and lost balance a little and one foot came down on the stove top, which promptly cracked and we had to replace the whole top. NEVER stand on it! :shock:

applestar
Mod

If you don't have to achieve immaculate factory clean, baking soda paste does a decent job of cleaning it.

applestar
Mod

Mine has little lights next to each knob to show when the element is warm/hot regardless of whether they are switched on or not (I.e. the light stays on while the element cools down), and a separate single light to show when ANY element is switched on.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Opps sorry Rainbow must have shuffled that around in my head.
I had a duel fuel stove before gas on the burners and an electric convection oven it was the best of both worlds.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My glass stovetop is white, and the burners are outlined in gray. Each burner has a light that goes on when the burner is turned on, but even after the burner is turned off, the light stays on until the burner is cool enough to touch.

It cleans up fairly easily with just Windex or white vinegar, but I use the special cleaner on it at least once a week. I was told that the cleaner sealed the surface, so that it would remain easy to clean. The stuff is fairly expensive, but I've found that a little goes a long way.

I like the stovetop quite well now, but I admit that I was somewhat afraid of it for the first 6 months! I was sure I was gonna do something to break it! :lol:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My wife wanted a duel range but I would have had to spend about $$$$ to get what she wants and I only wanted to spend around $$ so we got the electric. No gas here and so we would also have to get a propane tank and do an install. We are doing some construction and a remodel so money is tight. So I am thinking of getting a small propane unit to use the pressure cooker on if I need to.
I cooked the first thing on the stove, I steamed a big pot of fresh picked string beans from the garden. The smooth top heats better than the old coil one did so water canning should be no problem, I may even try the pressure cooker.
Thank you all for your help.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Good Luck! And, Happy Canning!!!

Shirley Hawthorne
Newly Registered

I have a glass cooktop, as well. This is how I found out I cannot can on it. The box says do not do it. I called Ball and they said it isn't a good idea. Last, I called Whirlpool. I was told that my make and model wasn't approved for canning. They have, since, revisited it. The newer ones are. Mine is about 4 years old. If you are cooking on a glass cooktop, I would advise you to contact your manufacturer to find out if it is ok first.
I plan on purchasing a hot plate but haven't had one that has enough wattage. I'm considering an induction hot plate. Any thoughts?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”