applestar
Mod

Ow ow ow just got stung by a wasp...

:cry: Lost my handful of raspberries :cry: :cry:

I know there's an appropriate thread to tack this onto but it got me on my pinky and I have it in a bandage with a poultice and I don wanna look for it... Boo hoo :wink:

It was along my front yard fence row and a new neighbor with kids seemed to be moving in across the street and most likely heard my unladylike exclamation as well as saw me running around in an unusual manner :oops:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oooh sorry to hear that Apple.

To make you fel better I will tell you what i tell my kids. "I didn't feel a thing" or "You won't even know it in 10 years".

Did you disturb a nest or just a foraging wasp? I have never had problems with anything like that myself I guess they know I won't stand for it and hunt them down with all my power. :twisted: Though I have had several "encounters this year already but I think I know how to handle them and the bumble bees who didn't like me anywhere near the front garden this spring/early summer.

Really I have a lot of interaction with them being a bricklayer we are always closing up the entrance to their nest on new houses. They don't like it much but I just do my thing and they leave me alone. It is kinds of weird trying to work with 10-20-30 wasp flying to and fro around you though. :shock:

But keep it packed on ice and whatever you are doing. I hope the pain goes away soon.

My thoughts are with you. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah forget the neighbors. Mine all know I'm crazy/psycho. that's better than having a security system. Who's gonna mess with don's place that dude is nuts? nutz: LMFAO

But really they all love me, in a love/hate kind of way. :wink:

applestar
Mod

Thanks for your sympathies. I keep homeopathic Apis on hand and it's helping. Right after being stung, I ran into the backyard and got some plantain to chew and spit into a wad. If the new neighbors saw me doing that, it'll no doubt take them even longer to get over it. :lol:

(I guess I need to encourage some plantains to grow in the front yard as well, though DH may not like yet another weed in his front lawn. ) :roll:

I disturbed a nest. As you may have noticed, we have vinyl picket fence. The top and bottom rails are hollow; there are sufficient space between the pickets and the holes in the railings that paper wasps ( haven't been able to tell if they're European or native... Most likely European) have been nesting in there. I knew they were there and should've known better, but when reaching for some berries, I lost my balance and managed to grab on/thump my hand on the railing only a few inches from the nest opening.

For one frozen instant, I saw the wasp emerge, tried to snatch my hand away but it hopped and latched on, and stung me before I could do anything.

When I shook my stung hand -- I could not help myself -- it's also possible I shook my hand first and then it stung me -- My other hand with the berries opened up. I wonder why I couldn't keep it closed? I don't remember. It's bothering me more that I panicked -- I usually don't. :?

4 or 5 more wasps came out by the entrance, so I beat a hasty retreat, but they usually don't bother me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry about that, I know it hurts a lot. When I read the original post, I was going to ask if you knew about the plantain. That is a miracle cure for me, at least for bee stings (I haven't had a wasp sting in a long time). I'm pretty highly allergic to bee stings. Not anaphylactic shock, but without treatment, it will swell up like crazy and hurt for a week. Plantain used immediately takes care of it for me very fast.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I'm pretty highly allergic to bee stings. Not anaphylactic shock, but without treatment, it will swell up like crazy and hurt for a week. Plantain used immediately takes care of it for me very fast.
I'm going to have to pin ALL my hopes on plantain, should I ever be stung again. I *am* anaphylactically allergic to all of them: honeybees, bumblebees, yellow jackets, etc. As a child and as an adult, so I didn't "grow out of it." :x I always have Benadryl with me.

Aha! enlightened readers will say. Doesn't this woman even know about EpiPens??? They can save your life!

Yes, they can. If you're not also (anaphylactically) allergic to the benzo alcohols, the very preservatives used for the EpiPens. I discovered this little fact when I was injected with (apparently preservative-free) Benadryl in May 2002 to have a facial lesion biopsied. Despite the Benadryl, my face swelled up. It took three days, so the Benadryl was making a hard fight of it, but nevertheless....

The dermatologist had her physician assistant call the makers of the single-use injection to report an "adverse reaction" and to query the ingredients of the injection. Clearly, since I had taken Benadryl for years to ward off other allergic reactions (plant exposures, mostly), the diphenhydramine wasn't the reason. And it was the *only* ingredient listed.

Benzalkonium chloride...but "in an amount too small to matter"! was the remark of the manufacturer. The P.A. handed the phone to the doctor in my presence after reporting this staggering statement to us. The doctor just about went through the phone to New Jersey (mfr's offices).

So I am hyper-aware of bumblebee nests in the ground, honeybee flying routes to the lavender and other plants, and the presence (only occasional, thank all powers) of yellow jackets on my plants. My very life depends on it.

Gotta get some more plantain growing. Showed the plants that are here to DH and told him they are "good plants" and not to take them out. "They're good for insect bites and they can hold the ground against Yellow Star Thistle and the other invaders," I said.

Plantain....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

shadowsmom

Cynthia_h - I have the same issue with epi-pens. Remember the old fashioned syringe kits, before epi-pens? I had no problem with them. The first epi-pen I used was a disaster. DH is a MD and we keep a vial a plain epinephrine, no additives, in the house and travel with it. If you have a really horrible reaction it's worth asking your dr to prescribe you some and tell you what dosage to use and how to use a syringe. Liquid benedryl is the fastest acting form. I'm pretty paranoid this time of year. August is the worst month for me and stings.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

shadow I'm surprised August is the worst time for you and stings.

I always thought the bees and whatnot got more aggressive towards the end of the season, like fall. When the majority of the flowers and or food for them has gone, making them angry because they are hungry.

I know when I'm hungry I'm a little cranky. :lol:

shadowsmom

I hear ya gixxerific, you would think it would be later in the fall. I think in August I'm still outside a lot puttering around, picking veggies and flowers, weed wacking, etc. I've been stung twice this month already. Both times early in the morning when I was watering my pots and pulling a few stray weeds. I've never been stung in the veggie garden so I should probably just stay in there. Maybe I learn my lesson by September and become more cautious.

applestar
Mod

As Rainbowgardener and I noted, Plantain -- commonly considered lawn weed -- chewed and spat out in a green wad is an EXCELLENT immediate remedy for bee, wasp stings (spider, mosquito bites too).

Not as commonly available but Jewelweed stem sap is also a great immediate remedy. (also for poison ivy) I went to all kinds of trouble to get a handful of seeds a couple of years ago (DDs insisted on holding onto my shirt so I wouldn't fall in the water :lol: ) and now I have a huge stand of them in a part of my garden. hummingbirds and bees love the flowers too. I'll be hard put to control the spread next year. Seeds will be shooting all over the place very soon :roll:

Peppermint makes a soothing anesthetic for the sting.

The herbal poultice and homeopathic remedies worked for me. The pinky looks normal today, no swelling, just a little stiff and sensitive/achy and ITCHY!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I hate it when that happens, I have a habit of finding nests. I have lost count but I know it is around a dozen or more times that I have found them and they found me. I have also been stung by some that just flew in to me. There is on I was stung by and it hurt for days, it was a large wasp, black and lived in the ground. Most stings hurt and you run away fast but this one hurt many times more and hurt all the way up my arm. Has any one any idea what kind of wasp it could be?
Oh when I find a nest this is the one time I use pesticides.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”