BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Clover Mites or something else? -helpsos-

I was out checking my plants this afternoon in the 90 degree weather we've been having lately and noticed when looking at the bright hot sun lit concrete that there were a bunch of little itty bitty red dots scurrying about. And when I say itty bitty I mean like barely able to be seen by the human eyes type itty bitty :shock: It kinda scared me because I didn't know what they were let alone what they could possibly be doing to my plants. They all seemed to be running around quickly back and forth as though they had no clue where they were going.

I can't take a photo of them because they are waaay to small and I don't know much else about them except what I've described already. Looking around on google I've come up with Chiggers, red velvet mite, Clover Mites, red predator mite. Out of those I think that clover mites fit them best in movement, speed, and size. -helpsos-

I don't want these lil' buggers to get out of hand, what can I do that is a safe and effective way to get rid of them?? :|

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

No information on this topic from any1? :|

microcollie
Green Thumb

Clover mites, to my knowlege, don't cause noticeable damage. Granted they feed on grass, but usually not to the detriment of the lawn. I wouldn't do anything. I've heard that they will sometimes try to come indoors for the winter or congregate in sunny areas, but I haven't ever had a problem with mites. I always take the stance that if they're not doing any damage, why not let them go on about their lives?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I guess I wouldn't worry about them, unless I saw them actually on my plants. Then, I would be more inclined to think they were red spider mites. My understanding is that clover mites mostly hang out in lawns, but sometimes enter houses in quite large numbers.

I've never had a problem controlling mites on plants. A simple soap and water spray seems to be quite effective, as long as the treatment is done properly.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”