Well, I sent an e-mail to panda greenhouse, and to my shock and awe, they got back to be either the same day or the net day (I can't remember). I am very impressed with you guys-you were indeed right. It is the Australian Black Bean TREE! Who sells a tree in a grocery store fruits and veggie department-or any department for that matter? I've also decided that if plants are poisonous, companies should have to stick labels on the pots (on them, not just in them) warning about the poisonous parts. Think about it-every other industry has to do that. Who knows how many children and pets get sick every year (and when it comes to pets, probably die), because people bought a beautiful plant at the store without knowing it was toxic. As my situation proves, those little tags that they stick in the soil can come out easily enough. Also, who knows if the tag with the name even mentioned the leaves and fruit were toxic-it can even cause dermatitis if you just come into skin contact with sawdust from the tree. People all over the southeast dot their lawns with azaleas, not knowing how toxic they are. I had a dog years ago that ate a few leaves and bled from his anus as a result. I don't mean just a drop or two, either. Talk about scary! Even tomato leaves can be toxic. Speaking of tomatoes, one of my tomato plants (the one that was doing so well) just randomly died the other day. It just withered up like it hadn't been watered and died. It was fine-no better than fine-it was almost seven feet tall and covered in beautiful little yellow flowers on Tuesday, and on Wednesday it looked like it hadn't been watered in days. I was devastated. Sorry, ADHD rears its ugly head. My point is, businesses that grow plants should have to label poisonous plants as such. Like I said-every other industry in the world has to. Not that it would have helped in my case, since my cat only got to my plants accidentally. However, considering I have a cat rescue, there's a very good chance I wouldn't have bought it if I had known it was poisonous, even though my plants will be kept in a closed off room when I get back to my house. I still have a simple question-why would you sell a tree in a grocery store? Even if it had had the name Australian Black Bean, I wouldn't have known it was a tree. I know, you should research before you buy a plant, but really, we know that the majority of people out there don't research before OR after buying a plant-especially in a grocery store.
Also, aren't African Violet leaves toxic, too? But the flowers aren't?
The cat in the pic loves french fries, too, but only thick ones-not like regular fast food ones. I let him outside to eat grass whenever he wants. About 36 hours after eating the leaves, he started throwing up-I hope he didn't eat enough "lucky bean" leaves to get sick. What's so lucky about a plant that's entire contents are toxic? and Why would you make furniture out of a tree if you can get dermatitis from the sawdust? I know that the sawdust can maybe get in your pores and the hard wood can't , but really, why take the risk? The people who make the furniture or work at the plants where the furniture is made have to be around the sawdust, after all. Strange.