aqh88
Cool Member

mystery plants

I finally got around to taking pics of one of our unknown plants. Several of these mystery plants popped up around the air conditioner this year. Unfortunately I didn't find time to take the pictures while any were blooming. Each plant has stems all coming from the base with groups of leaves on the end. Then there's a very tall flower stalk in the middle that had tiny purple flowers on it. Every spot there was a purple flower has since turned into a little seed pod with 2-3 seeds in each. The seeds are glossy and range from off white to nearly black in color. I'll get a pic of the seeds later if needed but the pics I have so far are loaded here: [url]https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/plants/[/url]

Noone had time last year to do anything with this patch next to the house so I just filled it with wildflower seed mixes and various extra seeds I got from other people after they planted their gardens. What's odd is that these plants didn't come up last year and I didn't add any seeds to that area this year. Before I plant the tons of seeds I got off the mystery plants I'm wondering if they actually need to be kept cold or frozen before they sprout.

Hopefully I'll get around to taking pics of the mystery bush and other mystery flower my mom wants identified.

peachguy

I am not sure but almost positive that they are lupins, did the flower have many tiny flowers on it and those tiny flowers are where the seeds came from?

aqh88
Cool Member

Yea the stalk was covered in tiny little purple flowers which turned into dozens of tiny seed pods.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi AQH,

The seeds are hard and germination can be slow and irregular. That may be why they didn't sprout the first year. You are also in a colder zone so you have a shorter growing season. You can either scarify (nick) the seeds or soak overnight. Here's a germination chart that might be helpful.
https://earthnotes.tripod.com/seeds.htm

Newt

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”