tomf
Super Green Thumb

garden cloth over news papers?

My berry patch has weeds growing around the plants. I keep pulling them but it is a war I am having a hard time winning. I do not want to spray them so I am thinking of mowing them down and putting news paper over them. Then I want to put some garden cloth on top of the news papers. I have a drip irragation system that will be under all of this. Garden cloth on top of news papers will not be a problem I hope.
Last edited by tomf on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Garden cloth is like landscaping fabric? Personally I hate the stuff. I always end up digging it out again. It works very nicely for the first couple seasons. After that, I guess the pores in it that the water goes through loosen up or something and weeds start coming through it. At that point it is a big pain, because you can't pull the weeds that are caught in the fabric and you can't hoe them. If you don't mind digging the whole thing up and starting over every third or fourth season, go for it!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am very much with Rainbow on this. I too find that the landscaping fabric is a waste and a burden. Just go with newspaper IMHO. The reason I think the weeds eventually comeback is a lot of weed seeds don't need much to grow in. So if you have soil or even just mulch on top of the fabric they will come back. Whatever you use to layer the ground with only keeps the weeds below that barrier from coming up they don't keep the new seeds that blow in from getting established.

Ever see weeds pop up in your driveway in the crevices where there is not a crack. They grow in that teeny tiny amount of dirt and dust that accumulates there. Or see weeds/trees growing out of the face of a rock. They don't need much.

If you use the fabric like RBG said it is a pain to work with and plant through. And weeds WILL come back. If you use newspaper that will reduce the weeds and than decompose if problem arise again you can just add more paper which will decompose yet again, you can't do that with the fabric it would be several layers thick and what a mess that would be.

Just my thoughts good luck.
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks I see your point, news paper is also free.

applestar
Mod

What kind of berries? I would use newspaper with straw and grass clippings on top for strawberries and brambles, newspaper with pine needles on top for blueberries.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a berry cage about 75 feet long and in it we have Blueberries, Teaberries, Raspberries, Marion berries, grapes, currents, and a strawberry tree.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”