NicoleJean
Newly Registered

Anyone know Non-Hybrid Petunia types

Seems like almost every petunia is a Hybrid when I look on sites that sell seeds. I only want to get non hybrids because I was to start saving seeds every year for now on and never have to purchase them again. Please does anyone know of any varieties of petunia that are non-hybrid?

microcollie
Green Thumb

Not sure where you live, but look at variouis ruellia species (common name wild petunia) The common name is a bit of a misnomer, as they're in the acanthus family as opposed to the common petunias, part of the solanum family. There are species native to much of the US. They're perennial and, I think, can be rampant spreaders.
To my knowlege, though, they only bloom in shades of lavender/purple.

NicoleJean
Newly Registered

Thanks. I also found: Petunia integrifolia and Old Fashioned Vining Petunia. These two are also suppose to be open pollinating and true to type. Its a shame there are so few varieties. I want to plan differant sections of my garden by color so this is important to me.

I also have been going around the city collecting dead flowers trying to get seeds for free. So far I have been able to get some petunia, marigold, and zinnia. I will try planting them in little pots next spring and see what they turn out like than maybe transplant them if I like them.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”