Franco

Pond questions.

I have nothing to do this summer (except for summer school work :evil: becuase I don't have a job so my friend said it would be totally cool if I could build a fish pond near my garden. on my block the houses go MY NEIGHBOR- ME - CAT HOUSE respectively. The cat house has two cats that roam around the entire block (pretty big block) and eat all the rodents (we get a LOT of rabbits and chipmunks.) My neighbor has a fish pond and the cats don't touch his fish, but I'm worried that it will be different for mine, those cats are ALWAYS in my yard and keeping cool under my moms car for shade. Are there certain fish that would live in New Jersey that cats don't eat? Also are there any percautions I should take when digging? I'm totally pumped for this it seems like it's going to be an awesome project for me.

femlow

Cats, atleast in my experience, are more interested in playing with fish than with actually eating them, and they are not picky about their playmates, as long as they swim in the water and flop around on the ground. Your fish may be safe though as a lot of cats don't like water too much, and arent willing to dive in for a floppy friend, which is most likely what they would have to do to actually catch one. More than likely, they would just stare intently at them. However if you have racoons in your area, and most areas do, raccoons love to feast on fishies. My neighbor lost something like 8 fish to raccoons and I lost two (the only two that were in there), so you will need to take that into consideration. And like cats, they are not very particular. I have found that the best protection is a good cover for the water, which is important in keeping it cool anyway. My favorite is water lily, however they can be kind of expensive, depending on the availability in your area, but they are gorgeous and do really well, atleast where I am.

When you are digging, you will need to get a layout of where everything for your house is. You do not want to dig up a water pipe, a septice line or tank, or anything like that.

fem

Franco

Thanks you so much I appreciate the input.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”