jayne5364
Newly Registered

What's this plant

Hello everyone. New to this gardening lark and this site. I never had a garden til about 5 years ago. I've made loads of mistakes and killed a lot of lovely plants but seem to have gotten the hang of it now. Lots of lovely thigs grow in my garden and I really enjoy it.
I was given this thing a couple of years ago, half dead but I planted it anyway. It comes back every year, bigger and better. It has bulbs under the ground. It came into flower about 2 weeks ago and to my recillection will flower for several months. I would like to know what it is because I would like to buy more of the same. The plan is to have them growing all down onw side of my garden shielding the fence. I am assuming you could but them in bulb form maybe to plant in the autumn, but since I don't know what they are called I don't know where to start looking. I am in the UK ny the way.
Thanks in advance, Jayne
https://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/jayne5364/PIC_0117.jpg

femlow

That looks like crocosmia, sometimes called falling stars or montbretia. Its in the iris family and should be planted in the spring.

jayne5364
Newly Registered

femlow.

Thankyou, Monbretia is exactly what it is. Although the website I found said it will grow wildly, that is almost what I want it to do. Now all I have to do is find where I can buy it LOL.
Thanx.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If it is a bulb or rhizome, you can divide the one you have, and get several more, without having to purchase any, it that's what you want. They should probably be dug up an divided every few years anyway to keep the plant growing vigourously, and not dying out in the centre. Good luck and have fun with them! :wink:

Val

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”