lorax
Greener Thumb

tomf wrote: You guys are plant geeks. :lol: But that is cool. 8)
Oi! I resemble that remark! They tested me once and found I was almost 100% made up of dork matter.... :-()

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

For an example right here on the forum where scientific names helped **clear up confusion** b/c a common name was used for many different plants, please see

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53464

The plants in question were all called "horsetail fern/palm/whatever." The scientific names told another story.

Cynthia

applestar
Mod

:arrow: Lorax: :lol:

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I mainly just know the cucurbits and the solanacias (sp). I need to know what I'm growing squash-wise to see if I need to save seed the hard way (intentional pollenation) or if the plants won't cross naturally. The solanacea's are good to know because of crop rotation. E.g. Don't follow this plant with a solanacia, or vice versa. I should learn how to spell it properly, though.

But I always try to learn the Names of plants, on account of the different varieties I grow. 4 kinds of raspberries, different lettuces, 10 or more kinds of tomatoes. So when I give my parents tomatoes, I point to them and say, "that's a lemon boy, etc" But my mom only caught the "lemon" part, so she asks me all the time, "When are you planting more lemon tomatoes?" Which is incorrect... plus its a hybrid and I've moved past that phase of gardening. Sigh!

Of course she still calls it "expresso" instead of eSSpresso; "Netflex" instead of NetflIx, despite constant correction. Oh well.

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's Solanaceae or Solanums.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Ah, but the "cinnamon" Cassia is not C. nemophila - here's the kicker and a really good reason to use Latin names. "Cassia" is the common name of Cinnamomum aromaticum.

C. nemophila Walp., on the other hand, is actually a Senna - Senna artemisioides filifolia to be exact - and that's what might be hampering your searches for it. The true Cassias are all trees, while the Sennas are woody shrubs.

Ain't taxonomy grand? :-()
Okay, I can't speak English properly so forget about speaking Latin. I did cross over Cinnamon pass last week though.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/Colorado%20July%202010/colorado2010139.jpg[/img]

Should it more correctly be named Cinnamomum Aromaticum pass?

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Should it more correctly be named Cinnamomum Aromaticum pass?

Ted
LMFAO
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Sorry! I couldn't resist.

If someone provides a Latin name for a plant. I usually know what we are talking about. If someone asks me about a plant, I am totally unable to provide a Latin name. I have no idea where I obtained the ability to understand it, but not use it. I am one of those people who has a hard time remembering his Children s names. I sometimes pause when my wife asks a question because I am trying to remember her name in order to respond correctly.

.........................................................Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”