BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Checking seeds while in the soil?

Just a real quick " Hmm :? " lol

I was wondering if lets say I... move the seed or knock over the pot that the seed is trying to grow in will it restart the whole growing process or will it continue where it left off? Or ... if I have a really slow growing seed and wanted to check on it, could I dig it up real quick without doing damage to the process to see if it even looks close to sprouting? Just Curious what all of your opinions on this are. :D Thanks!

lilturtle
Cool Member

I would not touch seeds once planted, you can damage a sprouting seed if you disturb it. Be patient and it will bless you for it:)

applestar
Mod

One way to have that peace of mind is to pre sprout your seeds before planting them. Small seeds, sandwich between damp not soggy paper towels, roll up and put in sealed plastic bag. Larger seeds, try jal_out's method of soaking over night then rinsing morning and night. I keep them bundled up in moist paper towel in a jar.

Top of fridge is the usual recommended location, especially in winter time, but during the summer, any warm location away from a/c vents will work.

Check daily until tiny root tip shows, then plant right away.

Caveat -- I don't like this method overmuch because they always germinate when I'm not ready or when I'm too busy to make time to plant them. :roll: That said, this is a great way to start fall cool weather crops in the heat of the summer, and I'm seeing great success with pre sprouted peas.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies!! Much appreciated! I've had my Traveler's Palm seeds in soil for a lil over a month already and no signs of anything yet lol hence my curiosity as to whats going on under the soil . LMFAO I have read that it takes a really really long time for them to sprout. (must be a thick shell to break through) I really didn't want to help it along by chipping the seed because I didn't want to cause it issues in the future by accidentally damaging it somehow. Though next time I might try it just to speed up the prolonged germination. I did however soak the seeds for a full 24 hours before placing them in soil..

What if I planted the seeds to deep? how will I know if they didn't get stuck under the soil somehow? Whelp I suppose only time will tell! Thanks Again For the Responses :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”